1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gene doping

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, May 11, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I read this in the KC Star earlier today and was just absolutely fascinated by it.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/614667.html

Has anybody come across more research on the topic and how it relates to athletes?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In my day job, I was reading the scientific journal "Biology in Sport." It's British. It published a paper in which three scientists stated, quite matter of factly, there was a 100 percent chance at least one medal-winner in Beijing will be genetically engineered to some degree.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I did a multi-part series on blood doping in a certain (non-baseball) sport a few years ago, and I became fascinated with this gene doping stuff. It's bizarre, for sure.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

For some reason, blood doping also fascinates me. It really is a genius concept for whoever it was that pioneered it.

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Scientists are able to mutate or gene dope mice and rats to exercise feverishly and increase muscle mass and performance dramatically.

Gene therapy has been used on humans specifically for genetically immune suppressed children (boy-in-the-bubble syndrome). French scientists were able to "create" a new immune system in these patients. but the study was stopped becauswe of the high rate of leukemia that occured.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

To answer the question, yes, I read the story at the APSE judging contest for 2005.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

All I know, Cartman, is that pig and elephant DNA just won't splice.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

And the story is Sam Mellinger, who once did me a favor and as a result, I have to praise anything and everything he has done.
    So I am sure it is spectacular.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

What else is new? Simmons has been on drugs for years.

10. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

I was thinking Wilder...

I'm not smart enough to explain it exactly, or at all, but gene doping ---- more than ANY OTHER aspect of science, technology, computer science, nanotechnology, biotech, etc. ---- will absolutely revolutionize what it means to be human, the nature of reality, the world, etc. in the next 20, 30 years.

Read 'Radical Evolution'.

One application of gene doping (or genetic manipulation in a similar vain) is military: building the perfect soldier vis a vis ungodly endurance, self-healing organs, imperviousness to pain, etc.

It will be a reality. Its impact on sports will be a novelty.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's amazing what they can do with genes.
    For instance, if you have an inherited genetic disorder, and go the IVF route with the pregnancy there are labs - like Genesis Genetics that can test one cell of the embryo before it gets implanted to see if the embryo has the disease or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted