1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gender bender

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, May 14, 2009.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Nothing in the AP style about this one. Gwen Araujo, a 17-year-old murder victim is identified as a girl in today's Chronicle story, and most coverage of the case, I believe. Is that Bay Area political correctness, or an appropriate reference. I guess if you're willing to pony up for the surgery, you're afforded being identified by the gender you switched to. I suspect this would be handed differently in the deep south.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/13/BAJK17JSU3.DTL&tsp=1

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And there's this, from the FAQs at APstylebook.com:

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

If the person had a sex change, why would she/he be referred to as their former sex? Like Buck said, it would be wrong.

4. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Thanks Buck. Seems reasonable. Not sure I agree with it, but maybe that's my own backwards thinking. Tragic story any way you look at it.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I suspect if you talked to any transgendered person, they would agree with it.

Think of it like the writers who referred to Muhammad Ali as "Cassius Clay" for years after he changed his name. It's just disrespectful, and there's no reason for that.

6. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Good point. I don't think names and gender are equivalent, but I can see why a transgendered person would consider it disrepectful in the sense that it shows that you're not recognizing how they identify themselves, so in that sense I do agree.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Exactly.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's a thread for another day, but thanks for mentioning that. I'm glad I wasn't the only one noticing Cassius Clay references in the 1972 sports pages.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's a good 20 years before bucky was even born. :(

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So not this guy?

[​IMG]

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I seem to remember an AP Stylebook entry on this very subject that referenced Renee Richards in the example. Don't have one handy. Can anyone confirm?

Draft saved Draft deleted