1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gebrselassie sets marathon record...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ServeItUp, Sep 30, 2007.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

... and then apologizes to Paul Tergat for breaking it. Much respect to Nurmi, Zatopek, Keino, Shorter and Bekila, but Geb is the greatest.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfield/news/story?id=3043374

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Geb is an amazing specimen and a great runner. This is well deserved.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

By far the greatest distance runner of all-time. Truly amazing.

4. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Broke the record by half a minute. He's an f'ing stud. Hope the stars align correctly, he stays healthy, and can get an olympic marathon gold next year.

has bekele ever made mention of a desire to move up to the marathon someday? His dominance at 10k/cross country makes me think he'd be a great marathon runner.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

That's a little more than 4 and a half minutes a mile for more than 26 miles. I'm not sure if my car will go that fast.

Phenomenal.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Berlin is such a ridiculously flat course, it stands to reason the record will fall there as it has numerous times before and will again. I hope I'm still alive to see a sub-2:00 'thon.

7. Geb is a beast. Just shows how far track has fallen off the map that this guy isn't as well known in the U.S.

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Wow.

At that rate, he would have been in my rearview on his SECOND marathon as I finished ONE.

Truly an awesome achievement.

Draft saved Draft deleted