1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gear Heads......ASSEMBLE!!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

They just auctioned off the first mid-engine Corvette.
    Winning bidder? Rick Hendrick. As in Hendrick Motorsports.
    $3,000,000.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hendrick is often a player at Barrett-Jackson. Loves his muscle cars.

And should we be judgmental about what someone buys at a car auction? Damn right. When I worked at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the facility hosted a car auction for the first time. I forget if it was Mecum-affiliated or what, but there were some darned solid rides there. The speedway's Chief Marketing Officer bought an little old MG roadster for like $30k -- a nice enough car, but a bunch of us underlings thought that was a very "meh" purchase among all the other beasts in the auction. You're a top executive at the friggin' Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you should be buying something that could peel down the front straightaway and have everyone in the neighborhood hear it. He'd drive that thing to work on nice days and we'd just shake our heads. And he didn't last all that long in the job after that, for what it's worth.

Chef2 likes this.
  3. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

God, I wish I had more money! lol. I would have my hand in the air buying one of the customized 60s ‘Vettes they sold on Saturday. All modern suspension and drive train underneath classic body style. There was a silver, kind of Mercedes looking colour, 1961 Corvette with all red interior on a customized late Vette chassis and, if I’m not mistaken, a new 600 HP engine and all the suspension trimmings. Went for about 230 thousand, originally I posted 150.
    The previous obsession with numbers matching vehicles is out the window and that may actually save the classic car market. Looks to me like customizing some of the classics is good business for everyone from builder to buyer to Barrett-Jackson. It breathes new life into what was a faltering business.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Chef2 likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

All of the numbers matching stuff is really only relevant on the really rare stuff. Like that 69 Copo Camaro they sold.....original engine, original transmission, original window sticker attached. There's a reason that went for $995,000.
    All of the late 60's Corvettes are getting Dynas and LS-3's put in them because there were 8 billion of them.
    Not to say they aren't awesome and don't bring the money because they are.....and they do.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Or the two parking attendants.

bigpern23 and Chef2 like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

My "if I won the lottery" car, or one of them. Superformance manufactures new Shelby authorized replica Cobras, updated to modern. Not a kit car, but manufactured new, on a modern box frame and suspension. $92k will put you in a Cobra that's better than the originals. It's not an original, but I'd be buying it to drive, to hoon around in it, not to own a hangar queen. You spec it, they build to your wishes. Cost is without engine and tranny, you choose and supply the drivetrain.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    bigpern23 and misterbc like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted