1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GD Spradlin RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 26, 2011.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

As others have touched on, he lived a fascinating life.

Was head of Phillips Petroleum's legal department in Caracas. Became an independent oil producer. Ran JFK's campaign in Oklahoma in 1960, ran for Oklahoma City mayor in 1965.

Then he became an actor.

http://t.co/YpHP0Lw

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

RIP Senator Geary

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He had no family. Nobody knows that he worked here. It'll be as if he never existed. All that's left is our friendship.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

RIP - one of my favorite character actors. Favorite roll was General Corman in Apocalypse Now - the opening scene with Capt Williard.

"He's out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable human conduct. And he is still in the field commanding troops. "

I would imagine that Grantland will have something on this today.

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

"He joined the special forces. After that, his ideas became ... unsound."

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

As Ragu mentioned, One on One was a great showcase for him. And for Robby Benson's skills.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

A broader expanse of co-star Annette O'Toole's skills appear in "Cat People." ;D

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Since the middle of last decade, smallpotatoes has provided more unintentionally funny moments than any other poster. He's an absolute treasure to this site.

And I haven't seen One on One in 30 years, but I remember this dead actor very well as the coach.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That scene was even better with Robert Duvall.

When he appears at the pearly gates, will Spradlin tell St. Peter, "I intend to squeeze you . . ."

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He was also the preacher in Ed Wood.

He did some good indignation when Ed Wood dressed in his angora sweater.

"Mr. Wood! What are you doing!"

Liut likes this.
  11. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

It was Duvall ...

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When he is speaking at the check-passing scene at the big party at Lake Tahoe, with news photographers taking pictures, etc etc., Geary intentionally botches up the name of Vito Corleone, because he wants the public to believe he isn't really close to them.

Then when he retires to the private confab with Michael, first thing he says, IIRC, quite angrily, is that he doesn't want any contacts made directly through him, because he doesn't want to be publicly associated with the Corleone Family.

That's when he delivers the perfectly-accented Sicilian "Corleone." A signal to Michael he knows exactly who he is.

Then he attempts to strongarm Michael with all the bluster about how he doesn't want the "oily" Corleones mixing with the "nice clean people" they have out in Nevada, then makes the ill-fated payoff demand.

To which Michael responds, "Here's my offer: Nothing."

Draft saved Draft deleted