1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Gay' vs. 'Retarded' and suspensions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 31, 2006.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

Ummm... Didn't we have a discussion awhile back in which it was concluded that the old Tampa Bay Bucs uniforms featuring Bucco Bruce were the gayest uniforms in sports history? And I know we've called people retarded before.

We do this all the time, guys.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Ah, yes, here it is.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/31651/

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I've heard one of my hockey players call someone "gay-tarded" before.

It took me until between periods to admonish him. But I have to admit, I laughed, just at the joining of the words.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

When I worked at my college paper, a co-worker was a 40-year old homosexual man. Since I was -- and am -- a young kid, I used gay as casual slang: "Man, that's so gay," "They're gay, I hate them. ..."

Well, without thinking about it, the topic of a certain fraternity came up, and I said, "Fuck them. They're gay." The dude says, "And what's wrong with that?" I turned around, said, "Fuck, Dude. I'm sorry, but that's something my generation says all the time. It has nothing to do with homosexuals ... at least not with me. ..."

He was totally cool with me and my terminology it after I explained it, but only me. I don't know, maybe he thought I was cute, but he understood I meant no malice. He would rip anyone else that threw it around because of their ignorance.

And my sister is retarded. Not at all like my brother it, but she's not playing with a full deck. I'm so used to it that I throw that term around like a red-headed step child.

It's all how the words are perceived. Some people are cool with the casual useage, and some are strung pretty tightly. But I don't see how it can come up in any form of journalism.

But Michael Irvin is retarded.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Here's a link to a comic strip that seems appropriate to this discussion.

http://www.arcamax.com/zits/s-95694-512636

6. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

-Is 'gay' that much worse than 'retarded' == Yes, but only if you are so P. C. that most people can't stand to listen to you anymore.
    -Should the mentally-challenged community be outraged == I doubt those with the disabilities are, but I am sure that their coaches, family members, and those who watch them play in Special Olympics and other such events, probably are outraged.

Draft saved Draft deleted