1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Gay' vs. 'Retarded' and suspensions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Your logic isn't working with me. People who are homosexual are gay. Isn't that a commonly accepted term? Otherwise there wouldn't be GALA ... But used in certain contexts, it can be a pejorative, implying an effeminate character or action.
    The word 'retarded' was formerly used to describe people who are developmentally delayed, presumably dumber than the rest of us. In most contexts now, it is a pejorative.
    Calling someone 'retarded' is far more politically incorrect in my books than saying 'that's so gay.'

2. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

In the shop, under extreme duress, we have once or twice thrown out a "fucktard." 'Tis a harsh word we don't use lightly.

(Technically, a portmanteau of the phrase "fucking retard." Obviously. ;D )

3. enigami

enigami Member

Digressing on a conversational tangent while watching a football game, and staying professional in the heat of the moment, is probably easier said than done. They are professionals, however, and "gay" and "retarded" are unprofessional words, bottom line. Both guys realize that. There's no science to assessing suspensions for being insensitive. Still, ESPN is no doubt more afraid of getting heat from gay people than from retarded people, hence a disparity in punishment.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know... I just get increasingly irritated by what people claim "offends" them...

One of the writers who who took an announcer to task for referring to Yao Ming as a "Chinaman" routinely refers to women as broods, bitches and c-words... But he had the gall to act indignant over this? Give me a fucking break...

Based on the shit I hear in press boxes and press rooms and press row and in press rooms across the country, a comment better be Fuzzy Zoelleresque or Charlie Wardesque...

A sweeping comment about a religion or a race? Fine, people have a right to be pissed... Saying "That's a little gay." or "That's retarded" shouldn't register on that list. I'm not saying it's right, but it's also not worth freaking out over...

Most of the people who get indignant over this shit are the biggest hypocrites on the planet.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The writer refers to women that way in print or on the air? My, that is bad.

6. Mizzougrad96

Is there a difference between what you say in print, on the air and what you say privately?

Of course... It still makes you a hypocrite.

7. [​IMG]

No comment

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd say a whole buncha difference.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Hey, Howard, there's your Chinaman."

"Oh, thanks, Fred."

[​IMG]

No more yankee his wankee. The Donger need food!

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So religion- or race-bashing is taboo, but sexual orientation is acceptable? That's a pretty weak argument.

I'm not going to get offended, necessarily, by someone who uses the phrase "That's so gay." I'm just going to think you don't know any better.

And if you're an even remotely educated person but you don't have the vocabulary to say something that more accurately expresses how you feel instead of "that's so gay", it's going to be hard for me to take what you have to say very seriously anyway.

Even if it's not offensive, it's lazy.

It doesn't take much to stop saying it. Just, you know, stop saying it.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Sexual Orientation? I didn't realize Asian people were all also homosexual.

12. Mizzougrad96

If you're offended by someone saying, "That's a little gay..." then you've got problems...

Is it a stupid thing to say? Yes.

If he calls the quarterback a sperm-gurgling turd burglar, I could see people taking issue with it...

Draft saved Draft deleted