1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay Talese: "What I Read"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by brandonsneed, Jul 2, 2011.

1. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Thought this was great. Figured I'd share.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/business/2011/06/gay-talese-what-i-read/39186/

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

exciting. takes me through gay's day-schedule reading newspapers. reminded me of one of my FAVORITE abbott and costello/mr. fields skits on farming life... 'and then you're ready for breakfast...' classic:

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

All due respect, Talese apparently doesn't know what he's missing by skipping The Washington Post. Unless he has some sort of bug up his ass about the people who run it, it's almost always a great read and it's kind of a douche move for him to go out of his way to say he ignores it.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

Yeah. like chris jones claiming never to have read gary smith OR 'sports illustrated.'

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

God this depresses me. I was already disappointed in myself for how much little time I devote to reading. Talese spends half his day doing it in some form.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Gay Talese is 79... Perspective, holmes.

Also, I didn't get the impression that Talese was shorting The Washington Post, I got the impression that he was noting that it is a true paper of significance, but one that he doesn't seek out because it would be difficult for a man in New York City who doesn't use the internet to get their hands on The Washington Post every single day without paying more than any man should when he's got so many New York City options.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There are a great many New York Times readers, most of them native New Yorkers like Talese, who think of the Post as an inferior wannabe paper of record. It's an NYC superiority complex thing.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Your point may still stand because he's lived most of his life there, but Talese isn't a native New Yorker. He was born and raised closer to Philly than NYC. I got the same impression Versatile did.

9. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Same here.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It"s exciting Gay Talese and Chris Jones do not go out of their way to not read me.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In my mind, a key work anyone should peruse in a quest to understand Talese's long-term mindset would seem to be his own Thy Neighbor's Wife. JMO.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Envious that Talese can still get good reception for WQXR. Since they moved up the dial all I get is static.

Really miss it. I don't think there is a radio station around that is more in sync with the rhythm and pulse of a city as WQXR.

Draft saved Draft deleted