1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay sports writers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If they didn't want creepy guys taking their pictures, they shouldn't wear such tight shorts.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I worked with TWO guys like that! Very creepy.

Anyway, back to my earlier posts, I was talking more about straight athletes and gay athletes. And like I said prior, I couldn't care less when I played. Like I am now, I'm in the locker room to work. I have shit to do that's more important than picking up. Like I said (and someone else) deadlines, story ideas, etc.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I don't care if a co-worker is gay or not. As long as he/she works hard and gets his/her job done each night I don't care. In the newsroom where I work, not just sports, I can recall four gay co-workers, two writers (one of whom had AIDS or was just HIV-positive, can't remember which) and two copy editors. Two moved on to bigger papers, one of whom got a better job in PR, the other left the paper after graduating college and last I heard was in sales.

4. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

What about the camraderie within a sports department?

I was at a place once where everyone did fantasy football/baseball on the staff and that was that. It was at the point where factions would start developing where you'd either be on one person's side of the fantasy sports world or you'd be on this other person's side, but everyone still got along.
    Now granted, I wasn't there that long, but knowing the types of people who work as sports writers, would developing that camraderie be more difficult if you worked with a gay person, especially if there were homophobes working alongside him or her? Is camraderie really that important in a sports department anyway?

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

J called, he does not want his brain back.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Post padder. :p

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why? It's hardly been used.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Um, gee ...

Not specifically getting into J's brain, we're saying that there are no people in U.S. sports departments who would have a problem developing professional rapport and friendship with somebody they knew to be gay?

If we're saying that, we're a bit naive. I've worked with plenty of people who would have a problem with that. Fewer and fewer, thankfully, but ...

(Department-wide camaraderie is becoming more moot anyway, with a lot of writers rarely going to the office anymore, but that's another issue.)

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I've worked with a couple of gay dudes. It was fine.
    I knew they both wanted me for some super macho hairy man bear action, but I was like, "nah. I'm cool."
    And doesn't every paper have at least one female artsy, fartsy photog or, possibly, graphic artist, who is bi-curious, or at least acts like it? That's been my experience.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Why, you lookin' to hook up? :)

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Looking to watch Sure! No, let me make that a maybe instead.

Draft saved Draft deleted