1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay sports writers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Feb 16, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

(Talking to Lugnuts here): This is just a male/female difference. Women don't get turned on looking at naked bodies...men do. If some woman looks at our tits in the health club locker room, we know she's just comparing to her own--she's not thinking about sex. Women can look at each other and say 'You have great boobs, I would kill for those.' And we just laugh (and if it's a close friend, jot down the name of the plastic surgeon who made them).

But if a man looked at another man--'You have such a great dick!'--he'd end up with his head in the urinal...and the rest of his body three counties away.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Tom Petty, Maybe if it was put in my face, maybe I'd remember the incident, yeah. And I do remember one guy stripping down one inch from me because he was pissed I was invading the space around his locker (I was in a scrum around the guy whose locker was next to his)... So I do remember that incident, but I don't remember the anatomy.

It's not like you take notes, "Y'know what, Jeff, your left nut is actually larger than your right."

---------------------

21, I have yet to see a male journalist not be able to control himself around female athletes. Maybe they're all taking mental notes on body parts, but it just seems they've got other concerns... like meeting their deadlines, their seats on press row, those rumored layoffs... the buffet.....

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

lugz - wow dude, sounds like you have a little bit of a hardaway-abundance disorder going on there.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Lugz--I agree completely. I was really referring to the athletes in the locker room, obsessing about gay men and straight women gazing at their wonderous bodies.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Um, Tom, that would be Lugnuts on the right.

[​IMG]

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Tom, would it help if you knew I'm not a dude? ;D

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ha, wow ...

you do know i'm new to this board, right?

8. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

hysterical. good line.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Men's Tennis locker rooms and Women's Tennis locker rooms are governed by the same access rules.
    Are the NBA and WNBA governed by the exact same locker room access rules?

10. Taylee

Taylee Member

Had a veteran sportswriter who thought it was necessary to "come out of the closet" to me, the SE. Said as the SE it didn't matter to me, but as a friend I was proud of her and if she needed someone to talk with I was there. She was very nervous the first few months, but now openly talks about getting a girlfriend. Her entire personality has improved since.
    Sexuality is a part of life. I have mine, you have yours.
    Many professions allow those working to see the naked bodies of others. My wife works in a cardiac cath lab and there are gay people working there. There's no rule that the lesbians have to avoid women patients or the gay men must avoid male patients.
    In either the profession, there's nothing sexual about seeing the exposed bodies.
    Sure, there are immature people out there who will be adolescent about the situations, but I hope those are in the minority.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Now THAT's a Crocodile Dundee moment. :)

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As a profession, whether there are homosexuals in the press box should be the least of our worries. If there's anything we should worry about, it's the creepy guy who is way too into taking pictures of girls' volleyball.

Draft saved Draft deleted