1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay sports writers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Feb 16, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Piotr rulez. :)

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's funny, because i can remember no man in the history of the world being so proud of the size of his manhood than danny ainge.

when a guy walks to and from the shower with the towel draped over his shoulder on a regular basis, well, even hardaway would have to take a look and see what ainge was so damned proud of.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

But did you ever feel like you were being checked out in that shower?
    And if you did, you say you wouldn't be bothered?

Otherwise your points are well taken against those who think a gay person can show restraint as compared to a straight man.

4. Babs

Babs Member

I think we're entirely past that. No one has ever assumed that about me.

5. Babs

Babs Member

What type of beat do you have please, if you are a writer.

EDIT: egads, a typo.

6. Eddie Gray, a longtime racing writer in Boston, came out in print a few years back.
    The horses didn't seem to care.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They just surveyed the geldings, so it wasn't fair.

I've known lots of gay people in the newspaper business, where either the percentage is higher or it attracts people who are willing to be out of the closest.

Some of my best friends in the biz are gay and I have gone places with them and my boys and had them babysit at times.

I've known fewer in sports but I do know several and it's not a big deal at all.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Aw, Tom, why did you have give us that visual?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sorry zuma - been trying to shake that one myself now for, many, many years. (absolutely no pun intended.)

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

He's not the only one--and there's surely a great thread there we'll never have--but anyone who looks is more likely thinking 'what an idiot' rather than 'what a stud.'

Back to the original question: gay sportswriters? Of course--some in the elite ranks of the business. I doubt any players are aware. Not their business...despite their narcissisitic obsession that everyone wants to peek at their precious privates.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It's these threads where you can really tell who's "been around" and who hasn't.

Everybody who's done it awhile knows you become like a doctor. Nudity on the job doesn't phase you -- you think nothing of it, no matter what the gender. Or maybe you momentarily think: "Oh, a boob, I'll look the other way"-- then go on with doing your job.

If you've been around awhile, you've seen penises, boobs, women in sports bras, butts galore... and you can't even remember whose you saw.

------------------

In answer to the initial question, I've worked with a few gay sportscasters. It was discussed occasionally, but nobody cared.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh, you'd remember ainge.

Draft saved Draft deleted