1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay Belmont coach out of job after revealing sexual orientation to team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Babyjay, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I take it you are free to reveal your sexuality as long as it's heterosexuality.

Discrimination at its finest, there.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

+1

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

When Jesus comes back, the first thing he's going to do is line a few folks up for a kick in the gonads for some of the things done in his name over the years.

These people will be on the list.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Both heterosexuals and homosexuals are free to say that they are heterosexual.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Sexual orientation is not a protected class under federal or Tennessee law. Personally, I would rather they keep the coach and flex their anti-PC muscles by going back to being the Rebels.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

LOL

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Could a teacher be fired for sharing their religious beliefs with students? DADT is a sham.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

There is something fishy here. Reading through the entire Belmont faculty handbook and HR policies, I found no mention of a prohibition on working there if you are homosexual. The school's mission is certainly Christ-centered, but unlike other stricter church-based institutions, there did not appear to be any mandatory faith statement that must be signed.

I'm not buying anyone's story on this one. Student-athletes tend to be the most unreliable sources possible in a situation like this.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Not that I'm a big believer in using the Bible to justify particular behaviors, but I'm honestly curious -- is there anywhere in there that Jesus said he was, in so many words, anti-gay?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You mean "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" is not a directly quoted scripture?

Funny how the main characters of the Bible were constantly persecuted for their different beliefs, and now those who "follow" the Bible have no problem persecuting others.

I really wonder what God has in store for this coach once he is done with Stevie Johnson? [/blue]

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Steve, as in Stevie Nicks?

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

And by flexing their anti-PC muscles, do you mean their assholes can wink in Morse Code?

Draft saved Draft deleted