1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay adoption case goes to ME high court

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm really interested to see how this one turns out.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/07/adult.adoption.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think the title of the thread is misleading; if this adoption and monetary claims don't hold up, I think it would be due to the "adult adoption" nature of the case (i.e. not a normal "parent-child relationship") and potential financial implications in addition to residency requirements. I think this would have very little to do with sexual orientation of the parties involved.

It's not like this is a case of gay parents adopting children being challenged in court. I agree with and support adoption by any and all loving parents, but the circumstances of this situation are way too strange.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is a weird story. Interesting to see how it turns out, though.

And Diabeetus, please don't use ME as an abbreviation for Maine. This ain't the post office, dammit!

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

But maybe it is!

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You just blew my mind.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Adult adoption has been used by gays to allow them to gain familial rights with their partners.

This is interesting from that standpoint. There are a lot more of these couples out there.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've always wanted a girl, sportchick. Particularly one with a large trust fund.

8. sportschick

I'm the wrong girl for you, then. My trust fund is about $500.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hell, my trust fund is debt.

10. sportschick

Just change the minus to plus. They'll never know until it's too late!

Draft saved Draft deleted