1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gawker's New Comment Policy--Internal Communication No Longer Internal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lcjjdnh, May 7, 2012.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Along with its new comments system, Gawker has decided to speak more openly with its readers about its internal communications. For instance, Nick Denton today commented on a story he didn't like instead of just e-mailing Daulerio. Denton, Daulerio, and the blogger proceeded to discuss the article--with readers--in the comments. Makes for a fascinating read.

http://gawker.com/5908207/the-6-best-pages-of-henry-blodgets-6+page-article-about-mark-zuckerberg

2. lcjjdnh

Also think newspapers should do more of this. Journalists need to be more honest with readers.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Fascinating" is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

"Nick, we have a dick shot here. Do we run it? Not?"

"I don't know, AJ. I'd be more inclined if there were obvious signs of a herpes breakout."

"Screw it. We can Photoshop the cold sores on."

"No, we don't do that. We have standards."

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well, when your firm's bottom line is dependent upon clicks, I guess it makes sense to throw out for the public to see as much backdoor communications as possible.

5. lcjjdnh

Or if you want to be honest to readers about your editorial decisions. You know, instead of just hiding behind a veil of "objectivity".

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Haven't read the whole commenting thread, but I do usually enjoy when Daulerio tweaks Denton, which he appears to do here again in their back-and-forth about the new Gawker.

Knowing Gawker's history, in a year Denton will disavow the new system and declare that all internal communications must remain secret.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

They should have chosen a more appealing test case. This conjures and unsuccessfully deconstructs all the solipsism of a graduate summit on Mirroring Phenomena and Mechanical Reproduction of Pure Self Within A Lacanian Rhetoric of Limits and Systems, but without the laughs.

8. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I know there were public editorial discussions on Twitter at the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Had a buddy who worked there and I stumbled upon it.

Dunno what became of it. Anyone as South Florida SJ know?

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's nice to see Gawker has the same "State of the site!" discussions people so thoroughly enjoy here.

11. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Comments like this are what is wrong with this site, and, dare I say it, America.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Let's just put up live feeds in every newsroom so we can't "hide".

Draft saved Draft deleted