1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gawker.com go bye-bye

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Aug 18, 2016.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

You keep saying it's a shit state law......so those wronged by it can take to the Supreme Court yes? Why aren't they?

The reason I don't find it troubling is that we have protections in place to overturn laws that fall in the OrwellIan pot being tossed about. I trust those safeguards.

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

They are appealing.

And I gather you have no idea how cases actually get to the Supreme Court.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Hi, Supreme Court? Got a nasty deal here, and I need an appointment. Thursday after lunch OK?"

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

No one suggested it doesn't go through the circuit courts first, don't be obtuse.

Point is, for those throwing around the doomsday scenarios, at some point some court at some level will step in and stop that.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

6. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Did Hogan file the lawsuit in concert with Thiel? Or did he file the lawsuit and then Thiel came into the picture later to help bankroll the legal needs? Just interested to know how it unfolded. Doesn't matter to me either way bc everyone associated with Gawker can choke on the collective bile.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

"Which is in part why when a tip dropped into our laps that a married (to a woman) C-suite executive at a prominent media company had attempted to set up an assignation with a Chicago rentboy, I jumped at it. Here was an Old Gawker story of the kind Nick had once defended: the sexual foibles of a powerful executive and member of a ruling-class family. It would be nice to say that I struggled with the ethics of publishing the story, or that, even better, my maniacal and sociopathic boss pressured me into publishing it. But there was very little question in my mind: It seemed so naturally a Gawker story that I assigned it immediately.

Of course, it wasn’t a Gawker story. We’d rushed the article to publication in part because Nick was having a party at his apartment that evening and I felt like it would be nice to have a scoop to show off. Instead, what I brought was a nuclear reactor. The article, which named the executive, was so quickly and thoroughly despised, and I was so ready to fight with its objectors, that Tommy forcibly took my phone out of my hands and deleted Twitter for me. I woke up the next morning to a full-fledged internal crisis. Within 24 hours of the story’s publication, it was clear that I was not long for Gawker. The following Monday, Tommy and I submitted our resignations."

what a clown show. He rushed to post a story outing a guy because he knew Denton was having a party and thought he would want to brag about the post. JFC, fuck you Max Read.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thiel has been very opaque about his role in it, although various news outlets have pieced together the evidence that he bankrolled a number of lawsuits. ... all with the purpose of shutting down Gawker by any means necessary. He's been obsessed. I'd suspect (more than suspect) that Hogan filed his lawsuit in concert with Thiel's financial support. When Thiel's involvement came out, it was revealed that he had paid Hogan's lawyers $10 million. That is money Hogan could have never afforded on his own, and he has had the same high-priced Beverly Hills lawyers from the get go. What I suspect happened is that Hogan had his personal lawyer contact Gawker with a cease and desist (which is what happened). Gawker told him to fuck off. Thiel who was obsessed with bringing down Gawker knew what was going on and approached Hogan and asked, "How would you like to sue, I'll foot the bill for these high-priced lawyers?"

It's all perfectly legal. I'd actually have a measure of respect for Peter Thiel if he was just honest and straightforward about his purpose. And just fess up to the fact that he is a very rich man and he decided to use his wealth to destroy someone who pissed him off. It's kind of funny, even. Instead, he has been full of shit, first trying to obscure his role and not coming forward about all of the disparate lawsuits he has bankrolled with a singular purpose of bringing down Gawker by any means necessary. And then secondly trying to play himself off as the protector of a free press. It's self-serving bullshit, and it's just dishonest, because this was all about Peter Thiel and a vendetta, and in the pursuit of his goals he was doing the exact opposite of protecting a free press. He made himself into a master of newspeak. I wish he would have been honest about his role, and just shut up rather than trying to paint himself as the hero. I could actually respect that.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  10. lcjjdnh

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Despite my best efforts, I cannot grasp the meaning of "gaslighting," the verb. I've looked it up and read about it and I still don't get it. It's like calculus to me.

12. lcjjdnh

Draft saved Draft deleted