1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gawker.com go bye-bye

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Aug 18, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I cherish a free press and I think it's a banner day. A free press doesn't mean you're free to post whatever the fuck ya want without consequences. The world is not less transparent because fucking Gawker had to auction off its shingle.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If Gawker had filed some FOIAs and not been so concerned with showing sex tapes, people would feel differently. I don't remember anything hard-hitting flowing out of Gawker.com.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Byeeeeee, Gawker. And not a damn moment too soon.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

My first thought to this ... what F'ing dumbass would think that?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He cherishes a free press so much, he's a Real American.

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Maybe one that worries about billionaires using the legal system to wage wars with journalistic organizations to settle a personal grudges? Thiel purports to be a defender of personal privacy even though he's an investor in a number of entities--Facebook, Palantir--that sure like to suck up people's personal data. Not to mention he's bankrolling a number of other lawsuits that have nothing to do with the rights he professes to stand for.

As for the tweet YF posted, I find the attack on religious liberty in this country to be equally abhorrent. And I'm not the least bit religious. It's a shame liberal groups like the ACLU have decided to abandon their previous positions.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I don't think a billionaire, no matter how much money he was willing to burn, could take down a journalistic organization that wasn't trafficking in sex tapes.

The analogy Gawker and co. To taking out a news gatherer/first ammendment issues doesn't hold up.

franticscribe likes this.
  9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

First they came for the smut peddlers...

It's a fair point on the sex tapes, but of course the billionaire in question doesn't really seem to have much skin in the sex tape game, more the outing moderately famous gay people niche of things. The sex tapes, in the end, are mostly beside the point to the billionaire. If the courts put Gawker out of business for outing a public figure, this would chill us, yes?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But the courts weren't deciding that.

Thiel's motives are beside the point of the discussion. The case is the discussion. And Gawker is indefensible on the case.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Theoretically, but in order to levy the judgement that bankrupted them there had to be a sex tape.

For arguments sake, say a major metro did an expose on some rich guy that he didn't like. A year later they libel someone not as rich. First guy helps bankroll a libel suit, wins, and the metro goes under.......that sucks but "we would've got away with it if the guy we libeled didn't have the money to come after us." Isn't much of a defense and that's essentially the Gawker defense.

FileNotFound likes this.
  12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I love to dump on Gawker and similar sites, so it pains me to admit that they do produce good content and important stories. They're frequently cited here breaking news, whether we like it or not. They've produced a lot of great, big stories.

That makes some of the dumb shit they post inexcusable. Their eagerness to be edgy and snarky leads them into too many mistakes, and they always go so far overboard being jackasses that when they do inevitably fuck up they can't effectively walk it back. They rarely show the intelligence, the judgment, to use a scalpel instead of a blowtorch.

That's exactly what got them in trouble. Good riddance. I hope the other Gawker sites and all their gutless copycats — with that lazy, exploitive, copy and paste brand of "journalism" — follow shortly.

sgreenwell and Ace like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted