1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gawker article outs a private citizen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TopSpin, Jul 16, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh, and if he's not a public figure, how is it that this douchenozzle figures he can exploit the situation?

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And if Gawker aided in the blackmail I've already said that is a bigger issue

3. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

Legal definition of public figure and limited purpose public figure:

All-purpose public figures are private individuals who occupy 'positions of such persuasive power and influence that they are deemed public figure for all purposes. . . . They invite attention and comment.' Gertz v. Robert Welch, Inc., 418 U.S. 323, 345 (1972). For these individuals, the actual malice standard extends to virtually all aspects of their lives.

This category includes movie stars, elite professional athletes, and the heads of major corporations. Tom Cruise is one; that character actor you recognize instantly but can't quite name is probably not an all-purpose public figure.

As with public officials, the passage of time does not cause this class of individuals to lose their public figure status as long as the original source of their fame is of continued interest to the public.

Limited-Purpose Public Figures

The second category of public figures is called ‘limited-purpose’ public figures. These are individuals who "have thrust themselves to the forefront of particular controversies in order to influence the resolution of the issues involved." Gertz v. Robert Welch Inc., 418 U.S. 323 (U.S. 1974). They are the individuals who deliberately shape debate on particular public issues, especially those who use the media to influence that debate.

Well, shit. Given those clear guidelines, have your people get with mine and I'll see you in court, BDC99.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Clear guidlines? Are you new? High profile business execs are most certainly public figures. And given the political connection I'd think it would be inarguable. But it is up for debate. There is no cut and dried definition

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And just because I have never heard of him means diddly squat

6. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

Those distinctions are for defamation purposes; you are free to report the truth about anyone at anytime. Of course it better be true.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Should we also be pissed that Jerry Remy's kid made the paper? Or Andy Reid's? Yes, those were public records but WTF is the difference? Is that a big enough distinction? I've never liked the families of famous folks being fair game but that ship has sailed

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

When you're the CFO of a big corporation, and your photo and bio appears for all to see as a shining member of the company's executive team, I guess that makes you a public figure.

About Us | Condé Nast

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Interesting that y'all are convinced he's a public figure. The law is not on your side.

There are some business executives who become public figures, e.g. Trump, because of their behavior or because they are the head of a major corporation. But the run-of-the-mill business executive is going to be like the attorney in Gertz v. Welch. They don't become public figures simply for doing their job.

It's a classic media law exam question to have students identify whether or not a CEO is a public figure - the overwhelming majority are not.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    SBR likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The CFO (mind you, not even the CEO, who most of you couldn't name off the top of your head either) of Conde Nast is not a public figure. ... even by the loosest standard someone could come up with. Public figures -- business people or otherwise -- are celebrities. David Geithner is not a celebrity or a well-known person -- someone you'd say should have no expectation of privacy. The suggestion that he is, would redefine what libel and slander law has always tried to accomplish. Because if he is a public figure, just about anyone is.

Gawker is pitiful. I get the clickbait model, but that just feels sleazy (and wrong) to me. Not that I really looked at Gawker much, so it won't be losing my clicks. But that makes me lose all respect for it.

franticscribe likes this.
  12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Also, reporting the truth may get you off the hook for libel, but it doesn't mean you're in the clear.

Revealing someone's sexuality can get you into a publication of private facts mess, even if the person is a public figure. The question becomes whether or not that person's sexuality is newsworthy. I'd suggest that for the CFO of a magazine publishing company, it is not. But prostitution is a crime, and so that might make it newsworthy.

Regardless, Gawker is shady as hell for giving the source anonymity in this story.

Draft saved Draft deleted