1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gatlin works out for Texans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Nov 29, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

beef, i think everyone understands what you're saying about them being different sports with different rules. but they absolutely can prevent him from playing in the league by passing a rule saying someone suspended by another sports entity can't play in the nfl. and they should - it sends a terrible message in the war against performance-enhancing drugs, unless someone at the nfl can tell me exactly why the things banned by the wada/iaaf are not banned by the nfl.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think the NFL doesn't ban some things WADA et al. do because they think they go too far, and can easily trigger a false positive just because someone od's on flu medication.

While they are the worlds doping police, WADA isn't exactly the greatest when it comes to looking clean themselves. They do a lot of good work, but the way they've clearly botched some cases does cast a small shadow over them.

And hell, to use the rules of an organization headed by a Canadian would just be un-American.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Any organization headed by Dick Pound is one to ignore.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

So where is the line drawn? should he banned from any line of work that requires you to pee in a cup?

5. The NFL lets Shawne Merriman, David Boston, Saerbron, etc play.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

After they serve their suspension. My point is should you really be allowed to play in another sport when you're already banned from one?

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The IAAF looks for cheaters. The NFL doesn't; they just act (sort of) when they find one.

It's much easier for Gatlin to skate in the NFL.

And anyway, if the NFL would try to prevent Gatlin from playing due to a positive IAAF drug test, that looks to me like a slam-dunk legal victory for Gatlin.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You think Shotty? I would say that being banned from one sport would make it hard to challenge being barred entry to another sport, or is there something I'm missing here?

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't think the NFL can do anything other than treat Gatlin like any other case, with no prejudice. But I could be wrong, too.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If Gatlin passes an NFL-administered drug test he's eligible to play in the NFL. It's as simple as that.

Of course we should expect that bloviating pile of shit that is Dick Pound to rip the shit out of the NFL even though he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Hehehe, you said Dick Pound....

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Does anyone know J.Gatlin's 40 time? I heard it was a 3'9(that's crazy).

Draft saved Draft deleted