1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gatlin not going away

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hammer Pants, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/15/AR2006121501778.html

I covered Justin in college and to this day he is the nicest athlete I've ever covered for an extended period of time. I want to badly to believe he is innocent, because he never struck me as the kind of kid who would do this. I mean, I'm not naive, and you never know these days, but this is an interesting story, to say the least.

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Hopefully he'll use himself as an example to HSers about what NOT to do, it's not worth the shame and embarassment and if you do do something wrong, stand up and take responsibility for it instead of running and denying like a coward (**cough, cough BondsMcGwireGiambimotherfuckers)

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I wouldn't lump Giambi in that crowd, Phila. He's the only high-profile MLBer who came out and admitted he fucked up, even if the lawyers told him to be careful with his words.

4. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I'm a pretty skeptical person by nature and tend to think most athletes who are linked to drug/steroid use are likely guilty. But I don't buy it in this case either.

I was in a small meeting with Gatlin (editorial board) about a month before the news broke and he was going on and on about how he wanted to be the poster child for non-drug using athletes. Not that he'd be the first athlete to lie about it, but my internal bullshit detector didn't go off on that one. He looked me (and the 4-5 others in the room) in the eye and waxed eloquent about his aversion to drugs. His agent, Renaldo Nehemiah was with him in the room, and backed everything that was said.

I was stunned when the news broke about the guilty drug test.

Obviously none of us knows for sure what to think, but in this instance, I'm giving Gatlin the benefit of the doubt.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I really want to, too. I just know he's a good kid.

6. silentbob

silentbob Member

I've interviewed Justin before as well and have heard his "I am clean" speech. Very convincing. As a result, I was surprised, but not shocked when hearing of the positive test.

I am skeptical. For one, he tested positive in college. Oh, but wait, that was due to his ADD medication. Now this. How many excuses does the man get? Why are people willing to give him second and third chances and not others?

Secondly, his coach is Trevor Graham. The story said Gatlin didn't realize Graham wasn't well respected by others. Are you kidding? How could he have not? Working with Graham is like saying Bonds went to BALCO but only to pick up Flintstone vitamins.

Thirdly, this whole story/conspiracy stems from Graham, arguably the biggest cheat in the sport. He has no credibility whatsoever -- except when it comes to this case. Doesnt make sense.

If Justin's innocent, this whole scenario is similar to the Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding fiasco. And if that's the case ,then track and field pretty much has turned into Don King's boxing, where nothing at all can be trusted.

7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Giambi never really admitted to anyone. He apologized to the Yankees for embarassing them.

As for Gaitlin. I'm happy he's going back to Woodham High. That school will be closing at the end of the year and this is the final chance for the kids in that community to represent that school before moving into schools outside of their area.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Bingo.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Sorry, I was wrong about Giambi. I'm just still pissed that he cheated in the first place. Oh, well. At least Roger Clemens is all clean (*snicker, snicker*).

Draft saved Draft deleted