1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gatesville, Texas Messenger Seeks Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by johann, Dec 16, 2010.

1. johann

johann Guest

Company: The Gatesville Messenger
    Position: Seeking Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires: January 20, 2011
    Job ID: 1220124

Description:
    Immediate opening for a take-charge sports editor. County seat 4,300 circulation semi-weekly newspaper covering one 3A and three 1A school districts. Must have reliable transportantion, strong work ethic and be willing to relocate quickly. Position includes health insurance, Christmas club plan, paid vacation. If you're afraid of hard work, you do not need to apply. If you want to be part of a solid community newspaper staff, this is the place. No telephone calls, please.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1220124

2. spud

spud Member

Don't know much about the intricacies of the job itself, but I know a little about the area. Gatesville is small (want to say city population is around 15,000?), and lacks the obvious amenities, but there's a drive-in movie theater there! It's about 40 minutes west of Waco, give or take. "Quaint" about sums it up, if you're into the small-town thing.

Gatesville High is your most obvious beat, and the Hornets are pretty good in a couple sports. A generally competitive football team, a consistent regional volleyball team and a boys' golf team that has a few state titles in the last few years leap to mind. The football team won a state title as recently as 2000, though they didn't make it out of bi-district this year. There's enough in the immediate vicinity to keep you busy, no doubt. Gatesville is one of the biggest 3A schools around, so they can generally bully some of the smaller kids in district, even in down years. Their district is made up mostly of Waco schools.

I'm not sure which 1A schools they cover. A quick glance at a map shows Evant and Jonesboro close, which both play six-man in football, I believe. I'm not certain who all they consider coverage teams outside of Gatesville, though.

Plus -- and do not take me lightly on this matter -- the Gatesville press box has the best Friday night food spread of any box I've ever seen, DI college football and NFL included. They've actually got a press box coordinator to organize it all. Copious amounts of home-cooked barbque, pizza, fresh Italian food ferried in from the restaurant down the street, every dessert imaginable... hell, they bring you hot donuts at halftime. I'd gain 40 pounds every fall working those games.

3. anonymous1

anonymous1 New Member

When will they be contacting people for interviews?

4. MusicalSportswriter

MusicalSportswriter New Member

I applied for this position in July and turned it down to pursue sports information jobs. Didn't seem like a bad gig, though. I wonder what happened with the person they hired.

Draft saved Draft deleted