1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gatehouse to Buy Boston Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael_ Gee, Dec 8, 2017.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Absolutely nothing nor would I. My only interest is that I first started reading a newspaper on a daily basis in 1966 to follow the NFL. I lived in Greensboro and read whatever paper Smith Barrier was at. I posted this before but one of the thrills of my elementary school years was meeting someone who had a byline in a newspaper. Bodie McDowell belonged to the same gun club as my Dad and I got to shake his hand.

But High Point is in the shadow of Greensboro just as Durham was in the shadow of Raleigh. If Durham closed how long does High Point have, especially since Paxson does not have roots in North Carolina?

I also read that Greensboro is down to about a dozen reporters. If Greensboro has a dozen then I would think High Point would have less. Given that revenues continue to drop there will be more cutbacks. At what point will papers not have enough staff to put out a differentiated product?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Makes me remember when Greensboro had an 18-person bureau in High Point. The Enterprise had an 8-man sports staff in 2001. Wow, times have changed.

Draft saved Draft deleted