1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gatehouse offering buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Aug 23, 2018.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am unfamiliar with the geography of that part of the country but according to Wikipedia St. James and Rolla are printed out of the same plant. Does Gatehouse have two editorial staffs or are they one paper with separate mastheads?

2. LanceyHoward

Was Waynesville a weekly? Is there any reason that newspapers in small-town Missouri stuggle more than in small town anywhere else?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

People are advertising on billboards.

(Seriously, I don't know.)

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It was a daily once. The problem is that some of Gatehouse's papers kept the word "Daily" in their names even after they stopped publishing often enough to for that to make sense. Some publish something online daily, but might only distribute in print two days a week as is the case with Neosho Daily News.

5. LanceyHoward

Just from the anecdotes I have heard or read about a daily converting to a weekly is like going to a hospice. Death is imminent.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

There is no antidote. It's a slow death, though.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

We've lost four days since I've been here but as a twice-weekly, we're financially better than we've been since I began here. Part of that might be because our company didn't buy us to not have us in some form.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

New paper coming to Waynesville, called "The Uranus Examiner" - seriously.

Owner is a guy who has a strip mall off the interstate there, which includes a strip club, a tattoo parlor and "The Uranus Fudge Factory"

He bills himself as the mayor of Uranus, Missouri.

I Should Coco, Severian and Bronco77 like this.
  9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I've never been crazy about "probe" as a headline substitute for "investigation" or "inquiry." But it might be appropriate in the Uranus Examiner.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Let's hope it's not shit.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Always thought Kirksville was the anus of Missouri ... ;)

I stand corrected!

Bronco77 likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Waynesville is basically the front door to Fort Wood. Does that make Uranus the back door?

Bronco77 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted