1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gatehouse offering buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Aug 23, 2018.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I assume it is company-wide. Was sent my offer on Monday with a Friday deadline as well.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Is the initial buyout offer EVER any better than standard severance? I can remember only one time --- in 2007, when my shop offered one-year salary buyouts --- when taking the buyout offered a better deal than getting laid off. And there were no layoffs at my shop in 2007; they didn't start until June 2008.

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

It's company wide.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

GateHouse cut 12 positions in January and did not offer any of those people buy-outs.

7. InTheKnow22

InTheKnow22 New Member

A year after leaving GateHouse, I still regard the decision to do so as one of my best career moves. Now I work with people who actually respect me and my work. And for that, I actually care about doing a good job. It's as it should be.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

No buyouts have been offered yet at the shop I am familiar with.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Journalism? Or something else?

10. InTheKnow22

InTheKnow22 New Member

Still in journalism. Though I am exploring options outside of journalism.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yes it's not GateHouse's style to offer buyouts. Have they offered any or not? They simply lay people off, right?

To the suits on here ... do you envision a time when the sports staffs of all Gatehouse papers and other chains, big cities and small, will be forced to be sports editors who cover events? I'm thinking if those folks want to stay employed, at some point they are going to have to produce content as well as run the operation. I'm thinking most news organizations have cut about as many people as they can conceivably cut.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It is like that in some of their places now, so why wouldn't it continue

Draft saved Draft deleted