1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GateHouse New England cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Grumpy Old Yankee

Grumpy Old Yankee New Member

In New England, nothing has changed with this company. Ownership comes in with a new name, but with many of the same old faces. And, still, nothing works. Limited resources allocated, high expectations from management, low morale among editorial folks, and, ultimately, frustrated readers. The beat has gone on like this (with CNC, anyway) since the early 1990s, and in the process, many once proud newspapers are in the dumper.

It's interesting that the stock price of Gatehouse has sunk to $13 a share over recent weeks after running in the $18-22 range for nearly a year.

And people wonder why the industry is floundering.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i will not speak about my publisher on this board. nothing against you, meat. just in my best interest.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

WFW. Personally know many people who have been there a decade or more, and any move such as this would be a big middle finger tossed their way. Bitch about them not performing well when you give them their reviews come April, yet don't give them the resources to be successful.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I have a pretty good publisher, though honestly said publisher clinched the top spot due to not having kids playing high school sports, which my other three publishers had. They couldn't resist using the sports section as their family letter every so often. But then if I a) became a publisher and even more unlikeily b) have kids, I'd probably be tempted too.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i loved my former publisher ... he was let go for knowing more about the business than the owners.

6. Grumpy Old Yankee

With Gatehouse New England, there always seems to be plenty of well-paid middle management folks who give the unfavorable reviews, yet seem to get in the way when it comes to actually putting the paper out.

7. Grumpy Old Yankee

All too often, that's the case with this company. God forbid anyone thinks for themselves. Gatehouse wants "Yes Men" for middle management, and nothing else.

8. Grumpy Old Yankee

I've also heard that there isn't much reimbursment for mileage and expenses going on at the Slaughterhouse New England dailies this month.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wonder how the unions at The Patriot Ledger and The Enterprise feel about that.

10. BRoth

BRoth Member

I've been looking at the GateHouse papers in the Boston area as a possible move at some point (mostly because of reasons outside of just work), but haven't heard much about them. Could anyone enlighten me about the Patriot Ledger or MetroWest? Feel free to PM me, too.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Good luck finding an unfrozen opening.

Draft saved Draft deleted