1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gatehouse Media? Anyone heard anything about this company?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportswriter99, May 15, 2008.

1. sportswriter99

sportswriter99 New Member

Would appreciate any comments, good or bad, about Gatehouse's newspapers, management, pay, etc.. Thanks for any feedback.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

seriously? isn't that kind of like asking, what do you know about Gannett, Cox, or any other news organization

3. sportswriter99

Seriously, just looking for some information. Nothing nefarious about that.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My sources up in Rockford say Gannett >>>>> GateHouse.

That should tell you something.

5. sportswriter99

How bad we talking? Looks like Rockford still covers the Bulls and Cubs, right?

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

like everyone else, i hear they're going through layoffs. a buddy of mine worked pretty high up at Gatehouse and had good things to say about them until he got canned.

7. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Depends on the paper. Ours is a cash cow, so no layoffs are on the horizon. No hiring freezes or anything else like that, either. But I know they cleaned house big time over in New England, so it really depends where you're looking.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Colbert is right. They laid folks off over in Brockton and Quincy a few months back, as well as some other outposts.

9. sportswriter99

Thanks. It looks like they still cover local sports fairly well with some travel with their college and pro teams.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Right. Weren't they the ones who decided against sending their Patriots beat writers to the Super Bowl?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yes. They don't travel with any of the Boston teams anymore, except maybe down to New York.

12. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

For every Rockford I suspect there's a Utica, which improved significantly in print and online within months of getting liberated by Gatehouse.

Draft saved Draft deleted