1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GateHouse Files For Chapter 11

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BNWriter, Sep 27, 2013.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

To the Moderator of this Board: Have not been on for a few weeks, so I may be behind here. But I just saw this this morning and thought I would pass it along, hoping there is no D-B here. Thanks.

GateHouse files for Chapter 11 hoping restructuring will help it with its debt.

I would just like to get a check on a regular basis as a stringer instead of having to wait as long as I do to get the check. I love working for the GateHouse owned paper on a part-time basis (I really do!) but the last few times I have completed an assignment, the wait to get paid has been LENGGGGGGGGTHY!

Anyone have that experience as a stringer with them?? There is ABSOLUTELY NO "bashing" or "bad-mouthing" here. I really enjoy stringing for them, but waiting to get paid as long as I have is my major issue(Sorry my edit skills failed me when I first posted...I have ZERO MALICE toward them [I would just like to get paid a little more regularly, that's all]).

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There will come a time when that check you're waiting on, the one that's getting bigger and bigger because of the backlog, will never come. Bank on it.

3. aceface905

aceface905 New Member

Fellow GateHouse stringer here, definitely used to the waits--especially bothersome in those stretches when my writing income is filling in the gaps in the family ledger. Personally I never understood why they didn't have a fax machine or use email to take invoices--is this just a GateHouse thing, or do most national media companies require their invoices to be postal-mailed in 2013? (actually a serious question--every other media operation I've worked for has been locally owned)

Draft saved Draft deleted