1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gatehouse buying Halifax

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Nov 20, 2014.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

This is kinda big.

http://jimromenesko.com/2014/11/20/gatehouse-media-parent-to-buy-halifax-media/

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Uh oh.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Care to elaborate?

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Given Gatehouse's history and the fact there are some pretty good properties throughout the SE that Halifax owned... I could be wrong and I hope I am.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't let the non-competes hit you in the ass on the way out, Halifax.

I seem to recall one of their suits, during the whole debacle, told the employees the non-competes were needed because the company was committed to pouring money into their careers (not necessarily their pockets, of course). Yeah, some commitment. Two years. Cut and run, vultures.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I work for one of the papers affected here. Don't really know anything yet but I guess I'll find out sooner rather than later.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This is the same Gatehouse that was trying to dump some weeklies because they over extended on the last round of buying up crap. This is a company that gives up dollars to save pennies.

Anyone know if they are still trying to consolidate the production desks? It was a thing they tried a few years ago that a few of us resisted and actually avoided having to ship our production from the West Coast to the East.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

They bought up the Providence Journal here a couple months ago and the layout guys are (mostly) gone in February as they move to their super center in Texas. This was the press release I saw a couple months ago about the center: http://www.gatehousemedia.com/article/20140411/NEWS/140419944/11765/NEWS.
    Guaranteed each and every production person affected by this move is gone.

9. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

i'm actually surprised Halifax owned it as long as it did...but, it's just a vulture picking the carcass of another vulture's vulture capital...

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'll elaborate on my "uh oh"... GateHouse has a history of laying people off and running bare-bones operations, from what I've heard. I just wonder if GateHouse will come in and strip these papers bare. I'd be feeling better if someone like BH Media bought these. (And yes, I know BH has done some scattered layoffs, but still...)

11. doctorx

doctorx Member

Hitch up trousers, show a little gumption, do more with less, elbow grease, etc.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Accurate description of my experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted