1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaslight Anthem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Magic In The Night, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

That's how I felt on first listen. It sounded like kids playing actual music. I loved it. And these guys seem geniunely excited about their stuff; watching the videos is a joy!

2. Magic In The Night

The thing that's really striking is that Bruce is inspiring a whole generation of new bands and also new fans. As their parents have taken them to concerts since the reunion tour, they've really bought in themselves. There's a lot of college and high school fans on the Springsteen boards and they know the music as well as the old fans.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Found this thread because I just got back from the Gaslight Anthem show in Cleveland. Really fun show.

I looked twice at the description of them as Springsteen meets The Cure. And then I found this song with The Cure bassline going through it:

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Springsteen/Cure combo is an interesting description. There are Cure elements to the bass here and there.

They strike me a more like Springsteen meets Social Distortion, with a bit of the Replacements thrown in. Really great show when I saw them a few months ago. (I'm sitting two feet from a framed poster from the concert, still trying to figure out where to put it.)

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Shut. Up. PC. :)

When they were in Toronto - and I was on my way to Myrtle beach for a vacation :( - their drummer told the Toronto Star that they don't see the Springsteen thing at all. OK, he might not, I guran-fucking-tee Brian Fallon does.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I saw them last year and really enjoyed it and will get to see them next Thursday at Radio City. I'm pretty excited.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've heard them on Sirius before. Nothing great, but they are okay.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The Replacements without a lick of humor. Maybe a little Dropkick Murphys in there too. To these ears it's nothing special.

9. PCLoadLetter

I considered dropping a "Hi Huggy!" in the middle of that post.

Yeah, if the drummer doesn't get the Springsteen comparison he should actually listen to the lyrics, which range from homage the literal quoting of Springsteen songs.

10. Magic In The Night

Yeah, like that line, "Woke up at night with the sheets soaking wet, it's a pretty good song maybe you know the rest." That cracked me up.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"No surrender my Bobby Jean..."

12. PCLoadLetter

Draft saved Draft deleted