1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaslight Anthem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Magic In The Night, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Is anybody listening to these guys? It's kind of Springsteen meets The Cure.

Amazing stuff. I read somewhere they're going to open for Bruce in Hyde Park/London show this summer. Don't know if that's accurate since he usually doesn't use an opener but he's helping them out by putting them on his Web site and on his YouTube subscriptions so maybe it is.

Anyway, check it out. Thoughts?

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Outstanding band, though I would say (and I heard this somewhere else; it's not my original thought) it sounds more like Springsteen meets Social D.

The latest album, "The '59 Sound," gets better with every listen. I've been wearing it out for months now. And it's available on eMusic!

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I saw these guys open up for the Bosstones and Bouncing Souls in Dec. 2007. Had never heard of them, and came away somewhat unimpressed.

That said, The '59 Sound is pretty catchy.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Yeah, I've played the title cut about 20 times this morning on YouTube. There are some other good live vids up there, too.

5. I've only heard 'The '59 Sound', which is a great tune. Guess I'll have to check out more.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

PC Loadletter put me on to these guys on the Music thread. Their new album kicks some serious ass, and "Here's Looking At You Kid" is one of the best tunes I've heard in ages.

Great, great find.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I like Bruce but these guys do nothing for me.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Their album is my favorite from last year. They're just lots of fun to listen to.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Probably my favorite album of the past year, maybe longer. Great stuff.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've listened to this album as much as I've listened to anything in the last few years. What struck me, in this era of Pro Tools and all this digital compression shit, was this sounds like rock albums I used to dig back in the 70s and 80s. It's got that old-school vibe to it in more than just name. If that makes any sense.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Took a while for The '59 Sound to catch on for me, but it sticks with you.

Is it just me, or have there been a lot more Springsteen-inspired alternative tracks/albums lately? 59 Sound definitely has it, The Killers' Sam's Town album had it in spades, and there's a bunch I'm sure I'm forgetting.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Arcade Fire.

Draft saved Draft deleted