1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gas to hit $4 a gallon in August

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mmmm_Donuts, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That's part of it, yes.

The other part of it, I believe, has to do with the Earth's cyclically changing magnetic field.

But you're right-- our oil and coal consumption aren't helping the glaciers.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

unless the glaciers melt today, you'll never convince geniuses like trounced. At which point, of course, there'll be no point, as we'll all be dead anyway.

3. trounced

trounced Active Member

The glaciers that made the Finger Lakes and the Great Lakes disappeared because people were driving SUVs?

4. trounced

trounced Active Member

There are many lakes in the US today that were formed by glaciers. I guess those lakes were formed because people were driving SUVs. Thank goodness for global warming or those in the Great Lakes region would be living in igloos.

5. Lugnuts

Trounced, you're obviously a man of simple absolutes.  

"It was this."  "It is that."  "Drill Alaska."

Problems and solutions are more complex than that.

6. trounced

trounced Active Member

In 1975 we had an ice age on the horizon. Now we're all going to burn up.

http://www.denverpost.com/harsanyi/ci_3899807

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

So next time you're with some progressive friends, dissent. Tell 'em you're not sold on this global warming stuff.
    Back away slowly. You'll probably be called a fascist.
    Don't worry, you're not. A true fascist is anyone who wants to take away my air conditioning or force me to ride a bike.

Yeah, this guy is clearly an expert.

What about the 95 percent of scientists who agree that global warming is a real and imminent threat?

8. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

This is ALWAYS a debate by politicians - or "experts" paid by politicians.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering for those who don't believe in global warming, do you acknowledge climate change?
    I'm just curious.
    What boggles my mind, is that we can send men to the moon with computers the size of barns and develop atomic weapons under a football field.
    But we don't have synthetic oil? Why don't we have an alternative to fossil fuels?
    All this brain power floating around and the best we can come up with is nothing.
    To partly answer my own question.
    One key difference is that a President of the United States said this is going to happen and and it will happen by this time. And the great minds made it work.
    This isn't just a Bush problem, this failure of leadership. It goes back to Carter, Nixon even.

10. trounced

trounced Active Member

Yes, there's constant climate change. It's always getting hotter or colder.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Even FoxNews runs stories about the scientific evidence of global warming...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187824,00.html

But I don't even need to read those stories. All I have to do it talk to my father-in-law. He farms more than 5,000 acres and runs a hunting lodge/guide service during the winter. He is as red state as red states get. At times, trounced, I think you might be more moderate than he is. Except when it comes to global warming and environmental matters.

Since it's a family farm operation, they've got records of when crops were planted and harvested dating back to the 1930s. He can tell you things are warming up because he's planting earlier and earlier each season. The growing season that used to begin in April, now starts in February.

12. Lugnuts

Inky - So what does he think of Bush and his environmental policies, and who's he going to vote for in '08?

Draft saved Draft deleted