1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gas to hit $4 a gallon in August

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mmmm_Donuts, Jul 16, 2006.

1. trounced

trounced Active Member

If Gore is so forward thinking, why didn't he solve these "issues" when he was in office?

2. 85bears

85bears Member

I don't know, man. I'm just telling you what he said in Rolling Stone. I found it interesting.

Goddamn. Not everything has to be "Hooray for our side!" when it comes to issues affecting the country.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Sure, I'm in favor. It's a problem that has to be chipped away at. No one thing is going to solve. A multi-pronged approach is what we need.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That point was made in Tom Brokaw's Discovery Channel special on global warming last night. A scientist said we don't have to worry about running out of oil, because at the current rate of global warming we won't be around to burn it all.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How do we know it will be "dramatically better"? There are consequences for every action. I'm not saying it's a bad idea to cut back on our demand for oil but to say going to hybrid, ethanol, etc. is going to be "dramatically better" implies it's the be-all end-all to the problem.

We can't just go in one direction, be it more refineries or building cars that don't run on gas. We have to do both because we have to have options.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

trounced --
    He tried. Read a book once in a while.

For this particular instance, I suggest Woodward's The Agenda, in which Gore fights long and hard for the centerpiece of Clinton's first economic package to be a plan to begin to wean America from fossil fuels and stimulate the economy with gov't subsidies for alternative energy. Had his bill passed, we might have a growing economic sector based on alternative fuels and a lgiht at the end of the tunnel. It wouldn't have been a be-all, end-all -- nothing on its own will -- but it would have been the first big step in the right direction.

If you want to discredit Gore on this issue, you're going to have to do a lot of twisting of the facts. He's been on the side of the angels with regards to the environment and our addiction to oil for a long, long time.

7. trounced

trounced Active Member

So are you saying he was just ineffective? Couldn't lead? What?

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Sort of. Nobody would listen to him, and it turns out he was right all along. :-\

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

yes, trounced.

From his incredibly powerful legislative positions as the VPOTUS, Gore pathetically failed to enforce his agenda.

But, gawd are you fucking dumb.

10. trounced

trounced Active Member

What was/is he right about? I'm sure all of the glaciers that were once in North America disappeared because people were driving SUVs.

11. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

Here's an idea: If the damn car manufacturers can pull themselves away from lazyass concepts such as employee discounts for regular Joes and make what has been said time and time and time before, minor adjustments to the carburator systems, cars could instantly go from 25 to 40 miles an hour, some more, some less? For a country that is so high-tech, it's a sham that every car can't get 50 mpg.  And, oh yeah, taxes on drivers of SUVs is the prudent thing to do (gag!).  They dump there SUVs, and you can get them for a song.  So who the hell wants them at that point? Sure, the poor will fork over bargain prices for a car it takes $100 a week to operate.

Time to put an ultimatum in the laps of Exxon/Mobil and their buddies? Might work, but we can't do that, because of government's bedding down with Big Oil.  And, lest we forget, Chavez sells most of your cheap gas in this country. It's called CITGO. Still, hitting some of these bastards in the pocketbook would be a feel good move, which is better than "letting the market dictate".  We're slaves to the market.

Which brings another idea:

A nationwide sit down strike.  When you think of it, it's the only thing this economic monster responds to: cash flow.  No money paid, but no money made.  And if you're afraid of being fired, it's only because there's 20 million illegals that might apply for your job at half the cost.  But journalism is pretty safe from that unless your paper plans on becoming the "El Dia Extra"

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

On one side of the global warming debate, we have hundreds of the most respected scientists in the world and data to back up their claims.

On the other is ... the guy who came up with Jurassic Park and ???

Draft saved Draft deleted