1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gas to hit $4 a gallon in August

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mmmm_Donuts, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I've already decided that I'm going to rent cars this fall for every drive I have longer than a couple of hours. My schedule seems to always be full of those long-drives-but-too-short-to-fly-to games, and I used to take my car and turn a profit with mileage. Unless our paper gives us better mileage rate, though — and that's highly unlikely — renting a car and breaking even seems to make more sense. I'll probably do it for basketball, too.

I'll miss Sirius for NFL games on the way back, though. Oh well.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Of course, you are assuming no hurricane (  ::) ) and no invastion of Iran (  :mad: ). Get one of those, you're looking at $6-$7. Get both, $10 is a real option.

3. sportsed

sportsed Guest

If gas goes up to $5/gallon I think you'll be looking at macroeconomics-goes-Mentos and Coca-Cola. Not good.

Listen, I'll be the first to admit that most of the Air America tripe I listen to reeks of elitism, but I still like it. On the other hand, I cannot fucking stand populists like Glenn Beck and O'Reilly.

But you want to know what? I will have the utmost respect for either one of those two retards if they can somehow rally their troops (and the many other Americans who would follow) if they led a "March For Low Gas On Washington" or something like that. Why can't they put their (perceived) power into doing something that could help the ordinary folk they claim to be looking out for?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because, of course, they have not even the slightest interest in actually helping the "working folk." They're simply sheep to be sheared.

5. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

But you must understand, that is basic Democratic Party politics.  They want you to think they are representing your interests, just to get your vote. Most Republicans are after the wealthy class which buys support that leads to votes.  So if you're expecting either to do something about the price of gas, grab a chair.  You'll need something to releive your tired ass during the wait.

Not that I like it that way, nor that it should be that way. I'm tired of bastards on the radio telling me it should. Neil Boortz told me to quit blaming others for my problem (expensive gas). Go figure.

6. sportsed

sportsed Guest

Here's a question. By most accounts (at least among the SJ faithful) it seems that $4 is coming soon, with ever larger prices coming down the pike.

What, then, will be the "Let's see action" point from the American people when it starts to really, really get ugly among citizens, there are outcries everywhere and the economy fries?

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We still have two oil men in the White House, so we're getting exactly what we deserve.

I hope gas goes to $5 a gallon. Will make my Mini Cooper and my Honda Civic Hybrid all the more valuable in resale!

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Highest PROFITS (Revenues minus expenses) ever.

It is real simple.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That is all good and well, but my wife and I went to buy a new car the other day and hybrids are still really pricey. At least the ones that I can fit into - 6-feet, 4-inches tall. So, we went with the safe rout and bought a car that does 25/30 mpg and only cost 17k. Until hybrids come down in price, they will not be a common vehicle. The average person can't afford a 29k car and pay $5 per gallon for gas.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'm 6-1, and I won't be looking for a car for 4 years in the least.

They will be much more competitive costwise by then.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, hopefully by the time my other car craps out, hybrids will be cheaper and I can afford one. Of course, there are hybrid SUVs, though I am sure those cost an arm and a leg.

12. House

House Guest

My in-laws financed a trip camping this week, so I'm in the middle of nowhere with no access to news (and with the in-laws!). I'm worried what will happen to gas prices with yet another Middle East conflict.

Of course, my wife is more concerned with what happened on Big Brother.

This is why the whole system deserves to go down the toilet.

Draft saved Draft deleted