1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gas to hit $4 a gallon in August

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mmmm_Donuts, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm guessing because motor oil is little more than residue after they get the good stuff — gasoline — out of it at the refinery. Plus, you only need 4 quarts of it every couple of months, as opposed to 15-30 gallons a week. Not as strong demand, so it stays cheap. Oil changes, even at the dealerships, are so cheap these days that it's not even worth changing the oil yourself.

2. I guess the cool thing to do today is Exxposing Exxon, but there isn't any proof that they are jacking up prices any more than any other industry. When you have rising demand coupled with lowered supply and tension in the Middle East, the prices are going to rise.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'm taking a 2003 Civic SI out for a spin today and if I like it (which I'm sure I will), I'm going to go after it. I know the SI's aren't as good as the regular civics on gas but it's far better than my monte ss.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oil prices drop for a third consecutive day. Gas futures drop in price. So when will we see a reflection of this at the pump?

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=2212091&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We're doomed:

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

6. digger

digger New Member

Did anybody see Meet the Press about a month ago when they had half the oil company executives on?

One of them actually said he couldn't charge less for gas than what all the others were charging because then everybody would flock to his stations, and his company would run out of gas.

So they all charge around the same price, all making huge profits, because the other guys are all doing it.

Talk about an industry that desperately needs regulation.

7. longgone

longgone Member

It's been proven that regulation is the best thing for some industries, although the Repubs will fight you tooth and nail on it.

8. WSKY

WSKY Member

gas ... ah ... i shat into my gas tank and I still had to pay. what's that about?

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Shut the fuck up.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You say market forces, I say, within the context of a oligopoly dealing product with no elasticity of demand, it's price gouging.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ignore the trolls . . .

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Since the $4/gallon question popped up today ...

Draft saved Draft deleted