1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gas prices spike after Ike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Winn-Dixie hasn't gone out of business yet?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's a good plan.

I quit drinking soda at my last shop. I figure I drink enough coffee in the morning, I don't need to drink soda pop in the afternoons and evening.

It is just water for me at work. And booze after.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Every one around here is now an EW James store, FWIW ...

4. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

No. Not for one minute, but that's the story that's getting fed to the general public.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Is the reason the gas is going up for you is because you have better ethics than me?

6. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Has nothing to do with the price of a barrel of oil, this time.

Oil is going down, but the product must be refined to become gas. Thats why the wholesale price went up.

I dont like paying these high prices as much as the next John Smith out there, but.... we've gotta do something. Whether it's drilling, new refineries, establishing a national energy policy, alternative energy sources, or something - the current system isn't working out too well.

When one hurricane can damage refining and oil production facilities and/or briefly halt production/refining and cause this kind of financial damage, something is not right.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow, newb. learn to use the blue font.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's working for the people who distribute and profit from it. So it's not going to change...ever.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, drilling will slow down record profits.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Because I'm right.

I'll try to take this slowly for you.

The issue is something called "replacement pricing."

Gas sold today must be priced in order to pay for gas that will be purchased to fill the big tanks back up.

Otherwise, a retailer runs the risk of being caught upside down – selling gas for $3.53 a gallon and then turning around and having to buy it at the sales equivalent of, say, $4.25 a gallon. When you're filling a 5,000-gallon tank, that's pretty significant.

If they didn't immediately adjust the price up, they'd get killed on the spread when it came time to purchase from the wholesaler.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you are so full of shit.

starting with a 5,000-gallon tank., how long will that bad boy get you in suburbia at a 24-hour station? a couple days, maybe? they buy several of these things a week and are billed for the gas they receive ... jesus, it's not a dope deal. there's no reaching into your pocket and shilling out bills for every gallon you buy.

and upside down? really? how are you upside down when you're making a profit off what you've sold to begin with? you also charge more after you receive your shipment -- if it goes up -- so you're still making fucking money. and, if you remember a few lines up, the bill isn't due until the end of the month. upside down? someone is biting into the gas company horseshit hard and heavy.

you obviously have never been a part of covering how stations price their gas at any shop you've ever worked, so all you have to work from, is, well, crap that someone is feeding you.

if you want to talk supply and demand, well, yeah, that's the only defense they have. other than that, it's rape at the pump.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted