1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gas prices spike after Ike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/13/bush.ike/index.html

I didn't see a thread on this or any posts on the Hurricane Ike thread, but I've been wrong about that before.
    In some places gas was as high as $5 a gallon or so.
    Is it price gouging or or was the spike somehow necessary for the stations to stay in business?

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Well, I saw one gas station owner on the TV who said if he sold it for $3.50, he'd run out too fast.

I mean, so there's that.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, aside from that whole thread called "How much did you pay for gas today?"...

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

It never fails to amaze me how stupid some gas station owners are. Last Friday, I was driving on a service road and saw some douchebag changing his prices to $3.99 in anticipation of Hanna. I was on the same road earlier this week and guess what? Back to $3.69.

But that's nothing compared to what I saw tonight. An Exxon on one side of the street had gas at $4.09. On the other side of the street, a Mobil had it at $3.69. The Exxon had tumbleweeds going thru its parking lot while the Mobil was packed. Seriously, how fucking stupid do you have to be to think you're going to gouge people when you're charging FORTY CENTS MORE THAN THE GUY ACROSS THE STREET?

As I said to my wife: "I'd run out of gas before I went to that guy."

5. Smallpotatoes

Didn't see it on the first page of anything goes.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I can only pray you'd show up on my doorstep when you run out of gas.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We have more than one page, I'm told.

8. Smallpotatoes

And I just checked that thread and didn't see anything Ike-related.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You don't think all the people posting that their gas has gone up 40 cents this week is in any way Ike-related? Really??

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's there. Also some mention on the Ike thread.

And that still doesn't mean that this topic could not have been put on either thread.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Now if Michael Savage had talked about it on-air ... totally worth its own thread.

12. Smallpotatoes

My bad. At least this thread wasn't about talk, radio, my personal problems or other stuff that annoys everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted