1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gas odor through most of Manhattan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 8, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Spnited, you been eating Mexican food again? Lay off the frijoles, will ya?

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Ha! At least noxious gas won't knock out millions of people in flyover country...

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I'm sure the URGENT bulletin is forthcoming.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I wonder if this gas odor has anything to do with why there is no Cold Pizza today? Make your on joke here.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

URGENT: Jimmy Hoffa's rotting corpse has been found.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

... and has signed a six-year contract to pitch for the Yankees.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Something must be wrong with me, because I had a doctor's appointment this morning. I walked down 34th Street, right past Macy's, up past Rock Center and then to work. Never smelled a thing.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Probably because the cable networks are overplaying this.
    Just talked to my sister who works very close to Times Square... she said there was a minor odor earlier but nothing now.
    The strange thing is CNN and MSNBC are still doing almost constant coverage and the NY local stations gave it up more than an hour ago.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The NYC mayor said on Monday that a strong odor permeating Manhattan and parts of New Jersey was apparently harmless after initial fears disrupted transit and caused evacuations.

The smell is there. We don't know the source of it," said Bloomberg in his daily news conference.

But Bloomberg said the levels of natural gas around the city were not dangerous, according to sensors.

"It may just be an unpleasant smell," he said.

He said there had been a small gas leak at Bleecker and West Sixth streets, but that it wasn't enough to account for the pervasive odor.

"The smell is coming from something else," he said.

Bloomberg added that the substance people were smelling is known as mercaptan, a strong-smelling chemical added to odorless gases in order to let people know when those gases are leaking. He said the smell may have resulted from a leak of that substance.

Law enforcement sources told WNBC.com that this does not appear to be an act of terror.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

Maybe it was this guy...
    http://www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com/

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

And right now lawyers are preparing radio ads encouraging people to call them if they felt sick today.

12. boots

boots New Member

Alright, I admit it. I let one go down wind. If you're up wind, you didn't smell a thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted