1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Williams retiring at Maryland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, May 5, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I must have missed how a program that has won one title and made it to two Final Fours in recent memory is an elite program.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just my two cents...

This would make Maryland in the top 15.

Pitt, Washington and Oregon might deserve a little more respect here.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There are programs on your list of "Better" ones Mizzou that have NEVER won a title, and have no more Final Four appearances than Maryland. See, Texas, Oklahoma, Illinois.

4. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Pitt doesn't deserve shit. One Final Four ever. WVU has done better than that and it's not an elite program, either.

5. Mizzougrad96

I agree about Pitt, Washington, Oregon and I think you can even make the case for several other schools being at about the same level as Maryland.

There's a fairly obvious top 10 and then there's about 15 schools that would be in the argument for the next 10. Maryland is in that second group.

6. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

OK, I'll play along since you seem to be such an expert.

Going by your list, how is Oklahoma an elite program? I'm not sure the Sooners even have an NCAA title (don't care to look it up) and I was in high school the last time they made the Final Four. Whoopie.

Illinois? Michigan? Georgetown? Please. While all are fine programs, none has a history of recent success that can match Maryland.

Easily a top-20 program. More likely top 15 and closing.

Gary did very well considering he refused to play the game and allowed a Who's Who list of HS basketball stars from his own backyard (Gay, Durant, Beasley, to name just a few) to wind up at other schools.

When you consider Maryland's new AD is most likely going to hire a coach who won't mind giving back massages and whispering sweet nothings to the AAU power brokers in DC and PG County, the Terps are unquestionably a sleeping giant in one of the top basketball leagues in America.

7. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

That's because you've been drinking before noon.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

In Mizzou's defense, that's not always a bad thing you judgmental SOB!

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

FUCK Georgetown and the whole Thompson posse in the ass with Bea Arthur's mother's cock. They haven't been really relevant in more than a decade. Big John up and quit, walked awayafter getting punked by Momma Thompson.

I'm a Maryland Alumn, and grateful for Gary's career at Maryland. He did more than anyone had a right to expect him to accomplish.

Bring Back Lefty.

10. Mizzougrad96

I'm going to laugh when Brey takes this job and it goes over about as well as the last time someone left ND for a ACC job.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Reports are circulating that Miller, Dixon, and Wright have all said they'd take the Maryland job if offered.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well. for those of you slagging Illinois, I have to offer something in defense:

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/1004/cbe1.pdf

Sixth best all time, top 10 in both the 80s and the 2000s.

This also shows Maryland as a top 20 program the past twenty years as well, btw.

Draft saved Draft deleted