1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Williams retiring at Maryland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, May 5, 2011.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I edited that. I meant if you think Arizona is better, and that going from Arizona to Maryland is a step down. It's, at worst, a lateral move.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you think Maryland is a Top 10 program, you're either an alum, high, or both...

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Let's go by conference...

ACC
    North Carolina is better
    Duke is better

SEC
    Kentucky is better
    Florida is better.

Big East
    UConn is better
    Georgetown is better
    Louisville is better
    Syracuse is better

Big 10
    Michigan State is better
    Ohio State is better
    Indiana is better.
    Michigan is better.
    Illinois is probably better.

Big 12
    Texas is better
    Oklahoma is better
    Kansas is better

Pac-10
    UCLA is better
    Arizona is better

Maryland is a good job. It's nowhere close to a "Top 10" job. Top 20? Probably...

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

"Good jobs" are what good coaches make of them. They are not inherent to the school itself. Duke and Georgetown were bottom-feeding slugs before Coach K and John Thompson came along. The idea that schools are "better" programs just because they're bigger is silly. What the hell makes Oklahoma such a good job? Or Illinois? If Maryland gets a new coach as good or better than Gary (a tough assignment), Maryland will be as good a job as any in the U.S. If not, then not.

5. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Brad Stevens? That's what my mildly ACC-connected friend just emailed me (his dad works in an ACC athletic department). If true, wow. Trying to get more details.

7. Flying Headbutt

That's who I'd realllllllly like. It's a possibility, sure. But that's a best case scenario, and perhaps even pipe dream, which is actually how I described it yesterday to a friend.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I've always been a Maryland fanboi (increased to no end by their winning the NC and clinching me the top spot in a pool of 1,500+ people!) so maybe I'm biased, but Stevens for some reason just seems like a great fit for that job.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

PG county has more McDonald's All-Americans than anywhere but California? Wow, I did not realize, and I stand corrected. That is pretty impressive.

That said, how many of those PG McDonald's kids did the Maryland program get?

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

This sums things up pretty well.

11. Flying Headbutt

Well Poindexter, in a related story, Gary Williams will officially announce his retirement today. That aspect had a HUGE influence on his decision, as Double Down hinted.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting to hear why my friend is talking up Stevens. I've heard Brey mentioned as a candidate, as well as Jay Wright and Jamie Dixon. You've got to think Brey is the fourth choice out of those, because those other three are home runs.

This is a plum gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted