1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Williams retiring at Maryland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, May 5, 2011.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

A random aside: My man Tony Bennett, with all of two years under his belt in Charlottesville, is now the fifth longest-tenured coach in the ACC, behind K, Roy Williams, Greenberg and Hamilton.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

On par with Maryland, and you could easily argue for one or the other, I would add Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Ohio State, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Florida and a few others, but the Maryland job is as good as any in the country outside of the Kansas, Duke, UNC, UCLA, and Maryland could be as good as any program in America.

I do see Arizona to Maryland being a laterial move, though.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Damn, IJAG.

Great post, DD.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

First of all, I love Gary Williams, respect what he did. The first college basketball game I ever attended was UNC at College Park when MJ was a freshman. If I hear "one of the nation's best jobs", I am thinking top 10 or 12 jobs. If your criteria is different, so be it.

Lets take a look at the Maryland job.
    Facility - first rate
    Fan base - great for the UNC and Duke games... for others? There was a big hubub this year when ACC games weren't being close to being sold out. Definitely not one of the best fan bases in the nation.
    DC -area for recruiting? Fine. So are a lot of other areas in the country. NYC, Florida, Chicage, SoCal, Bay area, the list goes on. I don't think that the DC - Baltimore area is some magical hotbead better than the rest of the country.
    The conference, the ACC, has been hurt by the football expansion. After UNC and Duke, there is a severe dropoff. Wake, GT, Virginia are not the national powers they used to be. That hurts the conference, and attendance at Md.

If there are 12 top jobs, here is a list

Syracuse
    Louisville
    UConn
    GTown
    Kansas
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    UNC
    Duke
    Ohio State
    Indiana
    Arizona
    UCLA

If you don't like these 13, find some programs in the SEC.

5. Big Circus

Oh, there's still plenty to be ashamed of.

6. Big Circus

Bless you, poin.

7. poindexter

A "top" program doesn't have to beg their students to come to league games outside UNC and Duke.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Poin: Louisville makes the list over Kentucky?

9. poindexter

I got to 12 or 13 programs and hadn't even hit the SEC... Mine wasn't definitive.. i made a little caveat at the end of my post.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Arizona to Maryland is a step down. A big one. Illinois is a better job than Maryland as well.

They can get a great coach if the Under Armour people start throwing money at candidates. I don't see them getting a major conference coach to leave at this point of the game. The only way to do it is the way Kentucky did and just offer a truckload of money to the guy they want.

Other than that they're probably looking at Moddy's date from last Saturday night, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I wonder if the former George Mason coach is kicking himself.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A few things:

Prince George's County, MD, which is where the school is located, has more McDonald's All-Americans the last three years than any other STATE, save for California. That's one county in the DC-Balto area. It IS a "magical basketball hot bed."

Mizzou, you're high if you think going from Arizona to Maryland is a significant step down. Everyone makes a big deal about attendance being down this year. It was still top 15 in the country. Has been each of the last five years. It's one of 10 schools to have that.

It has the Comcast Center. It has lots of money its willing to spend on hoops even before anyone calls up Under Armour.

There's a reason Jamie Dixon and Sean Miller will get long looks. And no one should be surprised if one of them takes the job.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I said Arizona is a better job than Maryland. Is that not what you thought I said?

Draft saved Draft deleted