1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Thorne: It was paint on Schilling's sock in Game 6 of the LCS, not blood

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Apr 26, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Who has more at stake here?

1. A professional, national-level broadcaster with, as far as I can tell, an outstanding reputation?

2. A player who has to live in the clubhouse and who could be in deep shit with teammates for telling stories out of schoool?

3. A self-serving pitcher with a rather checkered history when it comes to telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

4. A manager who is attempting to keep a bunch of spoiled, selfish (for the most part) millionaires all pointed in the right direction?

I just can't see what Thorne has to gain by telling a story he knows isn't true. Maybe he was told this in jest, and took it as fact. But I can't see him making something up, especially if he directly quotes someone.

I googled some photos. The blood on the sock looks awfully red. Usually once it is exposed to air and dries, blood on white is a much browner color.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thank you, Mr. Jr. CSI

3. Re: Gary Thorne: It was paint on Schilling's sock in Game 6 of the LCS, not bloo

[​IMG]

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

First of all, ewwwwwww!

Secondly, I don't remember exactly but did his sock get bloodier as the game went on? If it was fake that meant he would have had to rub paint on his sock during the game. That seems a bit far-fetched.

Thirdly, Mirabelli didn't say he misquoted or he was joking, he said it was a @#$% lie. Remeber that All the President's Men scene with Bill Bradlee.

5. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

I've heard the audio tape of the game last night, and there's definitely a lighthearted tone in which Thorne delivers the whole thing--it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if he came out today and said, "Aw, come on guys. Lighten up. The whole thing was a joke."

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Re: Gary Thorne: It was paint on Schilling's sock in Game 6 of the LCS, not bloo

Shit meet fan:

Editor's note: Gary Thorne's chat has been canceled

7. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

What do the Sons of Sam Horne have to say about this? They are the final authorities, no?

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I like Gary Thorne. I don't like Curt Schilling. So guess which I'm more likely to believe?

And suddenly, I feel the urge to check out what they're saying at SoSH.

9. I've never had the urge to check out what they're saying at SoSH.

10. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Edes has updated his boston.com blog with quotes from Dr. William Morgan, who did the surgery. A bit of backstory is in order here--if anyone had a reason to tear the bloody sock story to shreds it's Morgan--the guy was fired by the Red Sox shortly after the World Series. But he says it's legit...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/04/dr_morgan_cmone.html

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: Gary Thorne: It was paint on Schilling's sock in Game 6 of the LCS, not bloo

[​IMG]

From looking at these two photos, it appears the "blood" stain on the sock is not located where the incision was made.

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

This thread is absolutely the most entertaining thing I've read all week. And somewhere, someone is thinking the thread about The Paper is a waste of time... ::)

And Inky, seriously, the incision is right on top of the ankle, and the blood appears right on top of the ankle. But hey, keep seeing what you want to see, it's your afternoon being wasted on this foolishness.

Draft saved Draft deleted