1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Smith

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jul 20, 2006.

1. sportsed

sportsed Guest

\

Also, my favorite SI cover ever came out of that story.

By the way, nice photo by Steffi.

2. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Agreed. As much I enjoy Gary Smith, I began subscribing to SI because of Reilly's features I read back in high school.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

And Smith wasn't there.

What a pile of ornately written shit that was.

4. Once every four minutes, Daddy, on two threads.
    I'm in awe.

5. Gary Smith, is that you?

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

buzz off. if you think so highly of yourself to think that you're as good as gary smith, god bless you. but there is nothing at all wrong about knowing you're good but also being able to acknowledge, "i can't do that."

if that's sucking up, in your eyes, too bad. i view it as knowing your limitations. if you have no such limitations, again, god bless. but i doubt that you have no such limitations very much.i

7. We used to have a higher class of trolls around these parts.
    Sorry, shock.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Your phrases are well over my bulbous head.

Even when you are insulting me (were you?), you are the man.

9. Absolutely not.
    Sincere praise. Esepcially your four a.m. binge-posting.
    And, the miracle is, not a padded post among them.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Wow.

Would you like me to take the first sip from the vat, Mr. JonesBastard?

Danke.

11. Bitte.
    And I, alas, am not Mr. Jones.

12. tmunson

tmunson New Member

Smith is one of the greatest of his generation. Count me among those who gets excited every time I see he has written a story in this week's SI.
    We could all learn from his reporting, not his writing.
    My only complaint -- and I'm just nit picking here -- is that every profile sounds the same.
    I've said it before, but I would love for him to write SI's coverage story on the Super Bowl or the Final Four, just to see how he puts his meticulous reporting and observation skills to use in other areas.

By the way, if Moddy or someone affiliated with this site would kindly ask him, Smith probably would come on here and describe how he goes about reporting and researching his stories. He's very open that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted