1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Smith to retire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Glenn Stout, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

According to Thomas Lake on Twitter, Gray Smith is retiring from Sports Illustrated.

More BASW appearances than anyone. Four NMA's (I think).

A giant of the writing craft.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He heard Moddy was coming to tear apart his stuff before it was published?

Loved his stuff ... when he wrote.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He came a long way after being scooped on the Gene Banks recruitment story. ...

Loved a lot of his stuff, too. He'll be missed.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

His letter of retirement ran 37 pages.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

And it began in the second person.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My favorite Gary Smith story :
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1016500/1/index.htm

"Moment of Truth" its about a locker room photo of TCU football team
    just before they play Syracuse / Jim Brown in Cotton Bowl

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

He had 50-100 sources in his announcement.

8. joe

joe Active Member

My real introduction to Gary Smith's reporting/writing:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1138505/12/index.htm

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because we are who we are, but the lack of posts and number of insults thrown Smith's way surprise me.

10. AD

AD Active Member

place has become like high school. if you're uncool enough to show enthusiasm for a piece or a writer, you'll quickly be derided as a suck-up -- especially, god forbid, if it's about long-form stuff. far easier to rip than to praise, or to even-handedly take in someone's faults and talents and understand why they affect you still. welcome to hack city.

and don't tell me that gary's stuff is not holy writ, and we should be able to have a chuckle or some such. his passing from the scene is an important moment for any site that goes by this name.

it's too bad, really. this would've been a great place to tote up smith's career and look at it from the point of view of craft: why the first pat tillman piece or the phillies pitching staff didn't work, why ali's entourage or richie parker did. in short, what he actually DID that made him an important figure -- and whether his kind of career is even possible now.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well said, AD. Smith has written some of my favorite magazine pieces, but I haven't read any of his stuff in quite some time, so none of the topics really jump out at me now. Shadow of a Nation is the only one I really recall off the top of my head.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1118885/

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Eh, story on the Phillies didn't work because I kept trying to wrap my head around who was who. Tunnelman? Loose Laser? Late Riser? 346 paragraphs into the story, I kind of lost track.

Draft saved Draft deleted