1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Smith on Pat Tillman (again)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WildBillyCrazyCat, Sep 7, 2006.

1. You should never really let any subject read even a small part of a story before it is in print. I made the mistake once and regretted it. However, fact checkers can contact the subjects and check quotes and details pulled from Smith's reporting. I know, Smith doesn't really use quotes, but you get the idea.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I generally enjoy his work but this story lost me about 2/3 of the way through and I just skimmed the rest.

He's an outstanding writer, one of the finest in the country. Absolutely no sour grapes here. But sometimes brevity is a virtue and that story easily could have lost about 2,000 words and been just as effective.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just finished the Gary Smith piece - I think its one of the better stories he has done in a while.

When you read a great "Gary Smith piece" you come away feeling like you know the subject better than you ever would have before reading.

Felt this way about Tillman story. Sad part to me is that we will never really learn more about what made Pat Tillman tick.

Story made me think back to debate we had here at SJ as to who should be SI Athlete of Year for 2004 - A lot including myself suggested Tillman - A smaller group felt he was not a hero at all .

Well I think Smith has disproved that theory. Tillman was a hero .

Draft saved Draft deleted