1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Smith on Joba Chamberlain

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Great take, jgmacg.

A talented quarterback could always use a smart and honest quarterback coach, an equal partner in the quest for continued greatness.

Never thought I'd see a Smith story get less than absolute praise here, but I'll join those who stopped reading after a few graphs. I don't know if I care enough to read about a Yankee relief pitcher and his dad's health issues after slogging through that fawning lead.

Disappointing.

I like Smith best when he's writing about less overexposed people and sports.

My favorite by him remains the one about the deep-sea diver couple from a few years ago. If anyone happens to know where I can find a copy . . . . .

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

In his mind's eye, he thought this would work. That can't really be "coached."

I guess there's a place for Luther Vandross lyrics, but a sports feature's sure as hell not one of them.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, trudged through the rest of it today. thought it was ok. but was fine without reading it.

i think the problem was, for gary smith -- and this is odd, and we may see this more and more with him writing more and more -- it was overwritten to try to make up for it being underreported, if that makes sense to anyone else...

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Whoever said Yankees fans would love it was dead wrong, at least in my case.

The biggest problem I had with the piece was at the end of the lead, he said it's time to tear up the old assembly manual and start a new one. He then wrote the story (at least the two pages-plus that I read of it) like an assembly manual. The problem? NOBODY WANTS TO READ AN ASSEMBLY MANUAL! They only do it so they can put together their fucking entertainment center.

I like what the one poster said about the dichotomy between the physically gifted Joba and his crippled father. That sounds like it would have been a much more interesting angle to take with the added bonus of not sounding like a 'How to' guide.

And I'm not knocking Smith as a writer, I think he's outstanding. This was simply a miss.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Hoops, that's a good observation. Rick Reilly once said something to the effect that Smith won't write the story until he talks to 100 people. This one might have the fewest sources he's ever used in a story.

A lot of us writers would like to have just one "miss" among a load of Smithian "hits."

6. doublej

doublej New Member

Couldn't agree more. I always thought this Smith story was one of his best and I don't think it gets enough love.

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I had read previously that Smith did not consider his reporting complete before he talked with 50 different sources, but yeah, point taken, the man talks with a lot of folks.

Regarding the acquisition of previous Gary Smith stories ... I happen to own nearly every issue of Sports Illustrated since May, 1995 (and every BASW except 1993, ’94 and ’95) and would be happy to hook up a wanting SJer with an archived story not available on the Internet ... though we would use snail mail. PM me for details.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I would guess this is closer to the truth than a lot of people on here realize. This story came right on the heels of the Randy Shannon story Smith did, which had been published a few weeks before. It is usually months between Smith stories. When I read the Chamberlain story, I thought it was a miss, but I also immediately thought it might not have gotten the full Gary Smith treatment--the Shannon story seemed as if it had, and it is much closer to what people expect from him. But who knows?

I agree with some people here about Smith's style. He does that "Disney Movie of the Week" style incredibly well, in which he paces how the story unfolds using his Gary Smith alchemy and witchcraft tricks, often leaving a bombshell for the end. He doesn't do it on every story, but in my opinion, it is what he does best, and I would bet he agrees, because I think he goes to the well a bit too often with it. I think the predictability about his stories may be what is starting to turn off some of the people who pay attention to him. It's the style that made the story about Perry Reese, the black coach of an Amish basketball team (Higher Education) magical, and one of the best-written pieces of magazine writing I have ever read. I don't feel entirely qualified to give the guy writing or editing advice, but maybe it's a style that should be used a bit more judiciously. He is so damned good at seeing nuances and stories where others don't see them, and he is a good enough writer that he can mix up his style and pacing more to keep his writing fresher without having to worry that he is losing anything. He's that good.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Reading Smith is like reading a James Ellroy novel -- the style is so unique and interesting, it just draws you in. But if you read multiple stories (or Ellroy novels) in a short period of time, the style loses its luster and everything blurs together.

The Joba story was too soon after the Shannon story (which was not that great by Smith standards). No reason why it couldn't wait until spring training.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He’s only 32. I thought he was going to be so good.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The craziest thing is that in the time period since 2007, an arm like Chamberlain's went from being the rarest of commodities to a pretty common asset in most bullpen in the majors. Everybody throws 96 now.

Draft saved Draft deleted