1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Smith on Joba Chamberlain

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Oct 3, 2007.

1. You think he should include 100-plus years of backstory in his lede? That's like Notre Dame fans saying that if you mention that they're 0-5 this year, then you better also include something about the "Four Horsemen."

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Overwritten, overwrought. I agree with a post above: If a no-name had written that lede, people would have torn him to shreds.

Cringe-worthy.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For more info on Joba's father...

Please note when this was written.

http://ads.omaha.com/media/maps/cws2005/www.omaha.com/index863d.html?u_pg=528&u_xid=365&u_sid=1423484

I knew a lot of the stuff already, but how Joba and his father played catch in the backyard...

My God. And you thought Roy Hobbs was the perfect baseball story?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joba

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Thank you for that link, 93. As someone who despises baseball, I really didn't know anything about him. That story made me cry twice.

5. 93Devil

It got dusty here as well.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So if this guy was named Fred, would he get the Gary Smith treatment?

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Love Smith, but overwritten. He does this from time to time. Sometimes simple is better. Pops has polio, son throws a 99 mph fastball and is in the majors. Dad lives vicariously through son. THAT'S the story.

The kid does something that very few on this earth can do ahletically. His father is a cripple.That dichotomy is fascinating. How does the father be so handicap, and the son so gifted?

That's the story I would want.

8. 93Devil

Read the link I put up.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Since they cut staff, SI has turned Smith into more of a regular contributor, looking apparently to get a lot more for their money. And that's obviously not turned out to be a wise decision.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't know that the frequency with which he appears is the problem as much as I just feel lately like he has fallen too much in love with "voice." Not every subject can hold up to the Gary Smith treatment, where every muscle twitch has a deeper meaning that connects us all, every molecule and every rain drop reveals the purpose, and my goodness, we few, we happy few, can we not feel the heartbeat of this great nation as it cries out for a hero?

Barf.

He's getting in the way of the stories with clever writing tricks. It's impossible for some people to look at his stuff objectively because he's such a incredible talent, but the story 93 Devil posted is a better story than Smith's. It truly is.

11. I agree with some of what you're saying, but be careful not to be too cynical. Smith isn't, I don't think, showing off. He's thinking like a fiction writer. Or, even more accurately, a screen writer. He wants his character's psychological needs to drive the piece. It's not verbal masturbation on his part. It's legitimately grounded in narrative storytelling technique.

That, of course, doesn't mean he necessarily gets it right every time.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, PW, the whole Joba lede was verbal masturbation...six grafs that took me nowhere and didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

Draft saved Draft deleted