1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Smith on Joba Chamberlain

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Oct 3, 2007.

1. I haven't read it yet, but it sure was strange to find a Smith piece this quickly again. And not even teased on the cover. When is the last time one of his stories wasn't plugged out front?

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

great piece. what a surprise. ::) ::) ::)

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I know this is going to prompt a riot, but honestly, the lede is so overwritten, I had to stop.

I know Gary is a God, and to be honest, he's one of the main reasons I do what I do, but seriously, I think if this lead was written by someone else, it would get mocked right off the journalism board. Even Gary gets a little too purple with his prose for my tastes.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/10/03/joba1008/

4. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Link? Or is just available for the magazine?

5. Sandman

Sandman Member

Dude, that's a phenomenal lead. You do need a good bit of gravitas to pull off a lead like that, but c'mon -- I'm not even a Yankee fan and I got goosebumps. Happens often when I read Gary. In fact, if I ever meet him, that's what I'm calling him -- Goosebump Smith.

6. Double Down

No, sorry, it's way, way too purple.

Did the word rise and roar again like a yearning?

Please.

Even the best in the world need editing on occasion. This was too much.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Did he talk to his dad? I want to know more about Joba's dad. I've never heard, read or seen a thing about him.

8. The way Gary's been writing lately, you'll have to wait until the last paragraph.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

That lede is so far over the top it defies description.

Forgive me for not deifying Gary but considering I have seen the Yankees fans act like Joba is a god, there is nothing in that lede to make me want to keep reading.
    If you are as good as Smith is supposed to be, tell me something about Joba I don't know. Don't tell me about fans reactions.

Yankees fans will love it, though, because it feeds their Joba myth.

10. Double Down

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

And then there is nhis bullshit:

Here, in the house of the team with no patience for weakness, the team that ate its young, trading them for established stars and giving away draft picks to sign the best free agents money could buy because dominance was its entitlement, and the future always had to be now.

Well, that covers the 34 years and 6 championships of the Steinbrenner reign. I guess the first 20 championships in 53 years don't count.

Good to know facts never interfere with god's purple prose..

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's been broadly true since the advent of George III -- which is all the reality most current readers are aware of.

Draft saved Draft deleted