1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gary smith does it again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I think it's great to know that Smith was once a preps guy, specially considering the fact some see preps as starting at the bottom, with scant chance to move up. Shows that not all the great ones start with a spectacular gig and a meteoric rise. But like Smith, some ae so damn good, they earn their proper recognition by making their mark through work and talent.

2. boots

boots New Member

Gary always had talent. Anyone who has known him for a while will vouch for that.
    I told the story about him in Philly with the helps of inspiring others.
    As usual, people went East when they should've gone West. Why is anyone's guess.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Richie Parker. That was an amazing story. I saved the magazine and once in a while I'll read it to make myself feel inadequate.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm just going to walk by and ignore the belt high fastball.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

gary was a preps man in philly for a nano-second. from the moment he landed at the n.y. daily news in 1980 -- 27 freakin' years ago!! -- it was clear he was a star. he freaked lupica out, 'cause he was clearly a phenom of a similar age.

anyway, it just seemed strange that someone would mention his preps background after all this time. if boots meant to do so to encourage others, bravo. but my guess would be that while gary may have been "beaten" on the gene banks story, his writing even then was flat-out splendid. i doubt that his incredible writing skills just developed over time. his gift is too special.

6. boots

boots New Member

There's no question Gary had talent back then. But he was a young pup learning the craft as others do. He's not over the hill but with age comes experience. He's learned to harness those gifts and the results are there for everyone to see.
    Now here's the best part - he's only going to get better.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course that's the case. You can pay 100 lifetimes worth of dues and it isn't going to make you Gary Smith. The guy is arguably the best magazine writer in America, and it's something he HAD TO HAVE BEEN born with, not something he learned on a prep beat in Philly. I'm sure he didn't start off as polished as he is now. You hone that kind of talent with practice. But you either have it or you don't. He has an inherent ability to listen, ask questions, see nuances others can't, organize a lot of reported information that would overwhelm most people and tell a story ridiculously well.

8. boots

boots New Member

Really? When I pointed that out, you jumped on me faster than a junkie on crack. You accused me of "big timing" whatever that means.
    Gary was good but no one could've envisioned he'd be as big as he has become. He'll admit that. He'll also admit that he had to pay his dues, which has helped him remain humble and one of the good guys in this business.
    We're going to end it there because this board is about a true talent. Ragu do yourself a favor and think before you write. OK?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Go away. Please. I've seen you do that same kind of BS on the board many times. I was responding to the body of stuff you've polluted the board with, as much as this particular thread. One or two times and I don't say a thing. A pattern of it and I call it for what it is.

You're an attention seeker (as if that isn't obvious for OTHER reasons). And I suspect you actually believe that it props you up on an anonymous message board as something special (or worthy of the attention) if you are dropping names or big-timing like that. It's pathetic. But I'll just concede that we're all suitably impressed by you and try not to let you see my eyes rolling.

10. boots

boots New Member

What the hell is big timing?

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

here's my point, bootsy: while hopefully we're all improving every day, gary has been a marvelous, incredible writer AT LEAST since 1980, when i first had the pleasure to meet and read him. you've been making it sound as if he's an overnight sensation, "paying his dues" toiling in the minors for years and years. he's been doing big-time, state-of-the-art magazine pieces since landing at "inside sports" in '82 or so.

damn, if someone said today, "man, our boy shockey has come a long way since his preps-coverage days in n.y. in 1980," i'd find it a bit strange -- it's not as if gary or shockey pulled a roy hobbs and fell off the face of the earth, then came back better than ever.

the "he's come a long way since..." line just seemed strange after all this time. it's like saying, "derek jeter sure has come a long way since his triple-A days."

12. boots

boots New Member

I go back a little bit farther with him Shock. We're talking 1977 so when I say he's come a long way, it's meant with a lot of respect and pride. Not a smug attitude. The guy has always had talent. He just needed space and opportunity, which he got in New York. I'm extremely happy for him.
    I'm still trying to find out what the hell is big timing.

Draft saved Draft deleted