1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gary smith does it again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Apr 4, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

the only sportswriter going who makes me totally ready to wonder if i'll ever be worth a damn -- after 27 years -- hits it out of the park again in the new s.i. his story on the '57-58 little rock h.s. football team -- and its place in integration history -- is tremendous.

of course.

2. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

One of the best reasons to subscribe to S.I. I found out this afternoon it's sitting at home waiting for me--can't wait to read it when I get home.

3. boots

boots New Member

Gary has come a long, long way since trying to get the scoop on where Gene Banks was going to go to college. Always been a talent and he's a nice guy too.

4. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Can you explain?

5. boots

boots New Member

There's nothing to explain. Smith used to cover preps for the Philadelphia Daily News. He covered virtually every West Philadelphia High School game. He tried his best to get the scoop on where Gene Banks, then arguably the best prep player in the country, was going to go to college.
    Smith didn't get the story. Julius Thompson of the now defunct Philadelphia Bulletin got the scoop that Banks was going to Duke. I believe the story was voted one of the best in the country that year by The Associated Press.
    I hope that answers your question about an explanation.

6. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Yeah, that was pretty much what I meant. I was unaware of Smith's background.

7. boots

boots New Member

Like many others, Gary has paid his dues.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Whatever man. You're going to bigtime Gary Smith, as if he doesn't have more writing and story-telling talent in his little pinky than just about anyone on this board has on their best writing day. But hey, he's "come a long, long way," according to some douchebag who wants to sound important on an anonymous message board. As if he either knows you or gives a shit about your opinion of him.

Three national magazine awards (is it three, or is it more than that?), a boatload of money to write something like a half dozen magazine articles a year for SI, a legion of people who subscribe to SI just for those rare weeks when they pull the magazine out of the mailbox to find his byline on the front cover and a ridiculous offer by ESPN to try to woo him away a few years ago... But hey, he's "come a long, long way" according to boots. The guy must be an OK writer.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

shit, who hasn't "come a long way" since his/her first job? :eek: ??? ::)

10. boots

boots New Member

Damn, will the assholishness ever end around here? We give a little history and people lose their freakin minds. GIVE IT A BREAK!

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Too bad "we" accounts for about 50 personalities, all of which are annoying as hell. But thanks for the history, big shot.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Indicator of GS's talent: The significant other aka the Only Friend of the Friend of the Friendless has me flag her SI whenever GS has a story in there. Showed her his collection a few years back when she said all sportswriters were duhs. I can't make any case against it but GS can.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted