1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Sheffield knows why African-Americans are disappearing from MLB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by broadway joe, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Are you saying that latinos are elbowing blacks out of jobs? Are you saying that is OK for black-owned businesses to hire only African-Americans? Are you saying that because of injustices in the past that African-Americans can always play the victim card and get away with it? Because that's what it sounds like to me.

2. zagoshe

I don't have any fellow white males.....

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

First of all, it would be a complete and utter falsehood because that would be completely untrue.

Second, I think Dan Oregan hit the nail on the head with his comments here:

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays first signing was a 16 year old dominican kid that they signed for a shyt contract. That won't work here in the U.S.

4. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

This is hilarious. I made a post on sohh called "so you're saying (fill in with misinterpertation)___________" and that's exactly what you're doing.

I said what I said with my first post. You're saying what you want me to think and totatlly untrue. Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

Kill the strawman routine.

5. zagoshe

Just to be clear so this thread doesn't melt down with people arguing different things -- -What are you saying is untrue -- the sentiment that if a white player said it Jesse Jackson and company would be hopping around the country slobbering on their $1500 suits? Or the idea that "blacks are easier to control?"

And are you saying Sheffield is correct, that Latino's are easier to control?

And correct me if I am wrong, but latinos aren't bound by the entry draft like American Born black players, so that would seem to indicate to me they are less easier to control because they can pick who they want to sign with.

See, El Duque.....

6. zagoshe

I'm asking you questions because I am trying to understand what your point is.

And you still have yet to answer this question because you keep doing your little tap dance because you don't want to answer it....

So I'll ask it for the fourth time (sixth if you include the time IU and MMAC asked it ) ....

If a white player made the same remarks about black players, would you be so willing to give the benefit of the doubt and not automatically label him a racist? Do you think the Rev's in thousand dollar suits would do the same?

Two simple questions.

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

And Jesse has exactly what to do with this thread? Absolutely nothing.

bottomline here, we could talk about anything black, and the Jesse and Al card will be bruoght up to quell dialogue.

I'm going to repost my initial post and get back on track since you "black people are just as bad" posters are in thread derail mode:

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

You're answering my question with a question. The sure sign of someone that brings no value to a thread.

BTW, black only institutions, neighborhoods, businesses more often than not are initially born out of black exclusion.

HBCU's were born out of black exclusion from white universities. Black neighborhoods were born out of white flight from those neighborhoods.

So for you to even put anything "all-black" on the same page as institutions that excluded others to maintian their hegemony is a joke and says alot about your diminutive mentality.

9. zagoshe

This is hilarious to me -- your tap dancing is yet another example of and just reinforces how sad and hypocritical the left really is when it comes to issues of political correctness.

Nobody was trying to thread jack, they were simple questions and if you don't think it is a valid question to ask then I feel sorry for you because you are far angrier at the world than anyone should be.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

You clearly tried to jack the thread implying that "if it were said in reverse" nonsense as if there's merit to it. Sheff's point does have merit. Someone saying whites were being excluded by the same factors would be dead wrong.

You guys are amazing.

Hey everybody. Look at me!! Zag dressed me up in angry black man garb!!!

back to my initial point before the SportsJournalists.com costume designer came in:

11. zagoshe

What are you talking about -- you haven't asked me a question, I've now asked you the same question at least five times and you still refuse to answer it. I've asked plenty of questions because I want to know your answers but you refuse to answer them and instead keep doing this Slick Willy routine so as to not have to admit that there is indeed a double standard.

And I know the history of black-owned businesses, thank you. That's not what we are talking about -- do you think it is OK for black-owned business in 2007 to hire only black employees?

12. zagoshe

All of that is nice attempt to get out of answering the questions posed to you -- questions you don't want to answer because you know you'll come off as a hypocrite --and unfortunately for you I was at least the third person to bring up the question about "if the reverse were the case" so I wasn't trying to jack the thread, which by the way is about Sheffield's comments which we could get back to talking about if you'd stop this tap dance and just answer the questions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.