1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Sheffield -- Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 11, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Straw and Doc didn't even use the same drug dealers.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Clemens will and should get in.
    Palmeiro doubtful, but there's more of a case to be made that he was a consistently very good player long enough, regardless of 'roids.
    Sosa and Mac, absent HGH/steroids, neither was good enough to get in on their own.
    More so than Bonds, Sosa is the poster freak for steroids.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't care what the indictments say, Bonds and Clemens have to go in... Put them in together, so it can be scandal day at Cooperstown...

It will be interesting to see how many of the McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, etc... get in.

I don't think Palmeiro has a chance in hell of making it, but I would really like to see McGwire and Sosa kept out.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It's the all in the family link, Mike -- neither deserves HOF status.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's begun again in Detroit:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2008/08/10/he_feels_like_a_caged_tiger/

Sheffield is one of the biggest pieces of shit to ever play the game. He's never going to sniff Cooperstown.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, the process has already begun with the Tigers:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2008/08/10/he_feels_like_a_caged_tiger/?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed7

Especially hilarious since the Tigers have bent completely head over heels to kiss his ass since his arrival, putting him in the OF this year despite the obvious reality he can't throw a baseball 50 feet on less than three bounces any more, and playing him at "designated hitter" despite the obvious reality he can no longer "hit" (.224). ::)

Whoops, I see BYH beat me to the punch by a couple minutes. Oh well ::) ::)

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

ha! d_B the previous post! :D

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Answer: Gary Sheffield. Hall of Fame.

Question: What are words that should never appear in the same sentence?

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

If he were a nicer guy and a long-standing member of one team, with his numbers, he'd certainly have a shot. The guy was an offensive menace for 15 years. He will get 500 HRs and if he can get himself healthy he still has an outside shot at 3,000 hits. It really is going to be a Jim Rice situation with him. It would be too bad if he is lumped in with the steroid stuff because the evidence against him is really damn thin and easily explained away.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think if he gets 3,000 hits, he gets in. He's not going to get there though...

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Really thin? How so?

He worked out with Bonds and got the same stuff as Bonds. And his wonderful explanation--that he didn't take roids because "...they are something you shoot in your butt"--doesn't pass the smell test.

I'd bet my meager savings that he used steroids. A lot.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I could be wrong, but I think a ticket will get him in :)

Draft saved Draft deleted